This Chicken Enchiladas recipe is the result of many batches in my household. I make it once or twice a month. Slow simmered homemade enchilada sauce is so much better than ready-made sauces, you will never use them again, once you have made enchilada sauce from scratch , you will never go back to jarred.
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of boneless chicken either use tenders or cut up other boneless chicken to roughly that size
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic or one crushed/minced clove
- 3 tbs chili powder
- 2 tbs dried cilantro
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- large 29 oz can of Hunt’s tomato sauce (add another small can if you like extra sauce)
- 8 – 12 oz shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- approx. 12 corn tortillas
- Saute onion and chicken in shallow stock pot or dutch oven, over med-high heat. Add the spices once meat is starting to brown. Stir. Cook another minute to open up the spices, then add the tomato sauce.
- Cut the burner down to simmer and cover. 1 hour
- Remove cover simmer another 40 min.
- Take pan off burner. Remove the chicken pieces from enchilada sauce, with tongs and put in a bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle. Shred it by hand.
- Mix half the shredded cheese in with the chicken.
- Coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with a layer of the sauce.
- Put 5 or 6 corn tortillas in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove wrap carefully, and flip over the tortillas. The ones on the bottom should be soft & flexible enough to work with now. By the time you get to the others, they will also be ready.
- Make about a 1 inch circumference “log” of chicken/cheese mix 1/3 up from edge of tortilla and roll.
- Place the enchilada loose end down in the pre-sauced baking pan.
- You should get 2 rows of 5-6 chicken enchiladas, across the 9″ span.
- Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. (If you made extra sauce reserve it, to top the finished enchiladas or side dishes.)
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Serve these chicken enchiladas with the usual accompaniments. I usually make my Spanish Rice & some black beans for side dishes.