Quinoa Risotto is a perfect vegetarian dish, especially since this pseudo-grain has many proteins not usually found in other vegetables and grains. Adding the earthy flavors of mushrooms and eggplant give the dish a hearty “meaty” feel, and sweet peppers and onions add color and flavor. With the current bounty of vegetables, it is the perfect time to try out some new meatless recipes. This one will even satisfy the carnivores, but if you need to team it with meat it is pretty flexible, and will pair well with most.
This Earthy vegetarian Quinoa Risotto recipe is gluten-free, low in fat and calories, and if you don’t sprinkle grated cheese on top of it, like I did, it also vegan. Using precooked quinoa for this faux risotto also makes this a quick meal to put together, perfect for busy work nights.
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup eggplant cut in bite size chunks
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3-5 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dry
- 1/2 clove garlic crushed/minced
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crimini mushrooms sliced , baby portabella
- 1 cup precooked quinoa
- 2 tbs. white wine
- 1/3 cup roasted peppers red and yellow , chopped
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves chopped
- Place the oil in non-stick skillet over med-high heat.
- Once pan is hot, add eggplant, onions, thyme, garlic and salt.
- Saute for a few minutes until onions are soft. Add mushrooms.
- Once mushrooms are nearly cooked, add the quinoa, wine and peppers. Stir and reduce heat to low-med.
- Cover and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. (Stir once or twice during cooking).
- Serve warm topped with chopped fresh basil (+ grated Parmesan if you are not vegan)