These homemade Vegetarian Bean Burger Tacos were a long time coming. While I cook from scratch a lot, several of my past attempts at vegetarian burgers have been…well, let’s just say not worth repeating. We are on a budget around here, so I hate paying close to $4 a box for lame frozen veggie burger patties, so I decided it was about time I gave it another shot. This time, I really focused in on flavor, and went with some of my favorite Southwest ingredients in the bean burger mix: Poblano peppers, black beans, chili and cilantro. Success was mine! This bean burger mix is definitely worth a repeat!
I did make a couple burger patties, and the mix held together nicely right after mixing, but even better the next day (like fatty burger). The flavors and my immediate cravings called out for tacos though, and did not disappoint. I broiled corn tortillas to make fresh shells, fried chunks of the bean burger mix in just a little oil and topped these babies with crumbled goat cheese, chopped scallion, a squeeze of lime and diced grape tomatoes with cilantro. Damn, they were good. 😀
Here is the recipe for the southwest bean burger mix. It does include a egg, so the recipe is not vegan. I have a gluten-free vegan burger mix recipe featuring Italian flavors coming soon though. I’m just behind with publishing.
Southwest Vegetarian Bean Burger Mix
- 1 tsp oil canola, olive or butter
- 1/3 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/2 Poblano pepper chopped
- 1 yellow summer squash diced small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato chopped small
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 15 oz black beans can, drained/rinsed
- 2/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro chopped
- Put oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add onion, pepper, squash, garlic, sun-dried tomato, chili powder and paprika. Saute.
- When vegetables are cooked, take off heat.
- Add the beans. Stir, then mash with back of spoon or potato masher, until approximately half the beans are squashed. Stir again.
- Add the crumbs, egg and cilantro. mix well.
- The bean burger mix can be used immediately, but is even better when allowed to rest for a few hours.