Our German Shepherd is getting older, and has had a bad year. She lost her sister this spring. They were only 3 days apart in age and had been together from 7 weeks old. So I decided it was time for her to upgrade from a rug, to a doggie bed.
I looked in our local pet store, and a few other retailers… I wasn’t impressed. There weren’t a lot of options for larger dogs. The ones available were either junky or over priced, so I decided to just make her one.
I dug through my fabric collection, and found a large piece of printed canvas (which I’d originally intended to use for aprons), dragged out the sewing machine and big box of stuffing, and grabbed some thread.
It took me about 45 minutes, to construct a giant baffled pillow bed, for her. The bed has a great cushy feel to it. All I did was:
- Take 54″ canvas (or any heavyweight fabric) and fold it over (wrong side out) to a good size bed for her ( approx 30″), and cut.
- Sewed the 2 shorter ends.
- Turned it right side out
- Sewed 2 seams, dividing the pillow into thirds.
- Stuffed each of the 3 columns half full.
- Pushed the stuffing in tightly and sewed a line across the mid-point of the pillow.
- Stuffed the rest, then pushed it tight.
- Folded the fabric edges in, and sewed the pillow closed.
That’s it. A quick and easy dog bed. My dog went right over and laid down, as soon as, she saw it. She loves it.