My living room was last fully done over about 9 years ago. It has been showing it’s wear, and over the past couple years, the pillows have dwindled, the artwork above the sofa fell and the frame & glass broke (never to be replaced), the finish on the top of the side tables has worn, I have scrubbed out more stains than I could count with a ticker & always seem to be fighting odors from our dog, so the area rug was also replaced.
My goals for this makeover are to freshen up what we already have. I don’t have the budget to buy any new furniture, and while I plan to repaint in here some time this year, I simply don’t have the time to tackle that yet. I still want a fresh look, something more modern and reflective of our new family dynamic. Since it is just my daughter and I now, I think she should be reflected more in the design (and I don’t mean all the toys she loves to dump everywhere…lol). A few simple DIY projects will be the cornerstones of the design project.
We bought supplies for my daughter’s contribution to the living room makeover, a giant artwork on canvas. That evening, I covered a large ugly painting on canvas with flat white spray paint, so that it would be ready for my tiny artist to work on the next morning. I explained to her that the picture would be going on the wall, and she seemed pretty excited about it. Operation wall art complet
Hint: give your child art supplies in colors that won’t completely clash with your decor
New pillows are another big part of the makeover. The few we had left were not exactly “ready for prime time” anymore. I grabbed some great upholstery remnants at the fabric outlet up the street, and dragged out my old sewing machine. I knew the mix of colors and textures in the fabrics would make for a more modern look.
Before I even finished the pillows, I knew the old rug had to go. The crisply fresh fabric in the room, really brought out the ugly in it. I have wanted to replace it for quite some time, but hadn’t gotten around to it. A quick trip to the discount warehouse store on the other side of town, netted me a durable rug with a cool circular textural design, that really brightened the room up.
The last project on my hit list was a quickie refinish of the top surface of the side tables. I used a can of stain and polyurethane all-in-one, since I didn’t want to get into a major refinishing project. The sides and legs were fine, so I left well-enough alone there.
I am happy with the results of the mini-makeover and feel it really boosted the ambiance of the room. I’m relieved that it is done, since we will be having some super-terrific weather here next week, and I will be tackling outdoor projects then.