This time of year it is natural to want comfort food, but with all the additional holiday sweets and other treats floating around, many of us are already struggling to keep from packing on holiday pounds. This easy recipe for Poblano Chicken Bulgur is hearty and flavorful, while nutritious and waistline friendly.
The trick to creating such a healthy comfort food, is in a couple ingredients you may not have in your pantry but should consider.
Parboiled cracked wheat. This is what tabouli is made from. This whole grain is high in protein, minerals and fiber. It is also low on the glycemic index. It cooks faster than brown rice, and makes an excellent substitute for rice in most dishes.
A fermented dairy product. Kefir is like liquid yogurt and can generally be found in that case at the grocer (if you can’t find kefir substitute low fat buttermilk in this recipe). Kefir is high in nutrients, generally can be tolerated by those with lactose intolerance and has beneficial probiotic properties. It adds both a tangy taste and creamy richness to dishes, while begin lower in fat and calories than many other options.Print
Poblano Chicken Bulgur Recipe
Poblano Chicken Bulgur is a healthy low-fat high-fiber comfort food. Easy recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Entree
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/2 a sweet yellow pepper
- 1 medium size sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 – 1 lb chicken breast
- generous pinch dried thyme
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato
- 4-6 med size mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 2/3 cups Kefir
- Slice the peppers into strips. Slice the onions vertically, and slice mushrooms. Chop sun-dried tomatoes into thin strips. Mince garlic, and slice chicken into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over med-high heat.
- Once hot add the peppers, onion and garlic. Saute until starting to lightly brown.
- Add chicken, thyme, sun-dried tomato and mushrooms. Stir.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, add bulgur, stock and kefir.
- Bring to simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low-medium.
- Stir after about 10 minutes. Recover and cook until liquid is absorbed (around 8-10 more minutes)