I started working out this week… I am not, nor ever will be a big fan of the whole thing, but sometimes we just have to suck it up, and do what is good for us. When you’re a single parent to a special needs child, the need to be there for them for the long haul is all the more apparent, and I feel like sort of a jerk for not trying harder sooner.
I figured I better make sure and have a good breakfast that included whole grains, relatively low fat and plenty of lean protein. , When I eat eggs, I generally stick mostly to the whites, but here the yolk added a bit of fat and moisture to the meal, as well as a few extra nutrients. If you want to skip the yolk, drizzle a tsp of olive oil over the wheat berries & beans to make up for the loss.Print
Egg over Spicy Wheat Berries and Black Beans Recipe
Egg over Spicy Wheat Berries and Black Beans is a high protein breakfast Recipe
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 1
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup cooked wheat berries or farro
- 1/2 cup canned or precooked black beans (rinsed)
- pinch of Kosher salt
- generous pinch of chili powder
- 2-3 slices of pickled jalapeno (minced)
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3-4 grape tomatoes
- 1 large egg
- Coat pan with non-stick cooking spray, and put over med-high heat.
- Add onions, and saute until lightly golden brown.
- Add wheat and saute about 1/2 a minute, then add beans, salt, chili powder, jalapeno & cilantro.
- Cut the grape tomatoes into 3-5 slices each and toss them into the pan, stir and remove from burner.
- Fry egg in non stick pan and serve over the wheat berries & black beans
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 54
- Protein: 19