Chicken Fajita Pasta is a fun and easy pasta dish, great for family dinner. The rich creamy sauce spiced with fajita seasoning coats the chicken and penne pasta, while sweet onion and red bell pepper add a texture and a hint of sweetness to the meal.
A one pot meal that brings the flavors of chicken fajitas and cheesy pasta with cream sauce together. Great easy weeknight dinner!
Chicken Fajita Pasta: An Easy Dinner!
This marriage of Chicken fajitas and pasta in cream sauce is a dreamy couple. The fajita seasoning makes the cream sauce more exciting, and the creamy pasta soothes the fire and makes the dish more hearty. This is fun comfort food.
No fussing with wraps and toppings with this chicken fajita dish. Simply scoop some of the pasta into a dish and dinner is served. If you want a to serve courses, a simple green salad with Avocado Lime Ranch dressing to start the meal and a Strawberry Pie or Banana Bundt Cake would be perfect.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Pasta
Let's make this simple creamy fajita chicken pasta recipe. As you will see it is quite easy to prepare. Printable recipe card can be found below.
The dish only takes just over 15 minutes to make if you have cooked pasta on hand. If you need to cook pasta, it will take a couple more. Start cooking the chicken, veggies and sauce just as you put the pasta in the water and it should only take about 20 minutes total.
Ingredients for this pasta dish
Here are all the ingredients you need to make this creamy spicy pasta recipe.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon of Kosher or sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (avocado or any other high heat oil is fine)
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced (feel free to use yellow bell pepper or even green bell pepper if you prefer)
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic *** optional (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 teaspoon fajita seasoning, homemade or store bought (if you don't have this on hand, Taco seasoning or Cajun Seasoning are good stand-ins)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese or Mexican blend
- 8 oz dry pasta, cooked al dente
You will also need a large pot. I used a large extra deep skillet, but a Dutch oven would also do the trick. There is a black version of the pan I use on Amazon.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then set aside.
Place a Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot pour in oil. Add the peppers and onion slices, then toss with the fajita seasoning and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring a few times.
Reduce burner to medium and add the chicken breast chunks to the pan. Saute for about 6 minutes, until chunks of chicken are cooked.
Turn off the burner and stir in the cream and cheese.
Once the cheese is smoothly melted, toss in the pasta and stir to combine.
Top with a little chopped cilantro or green onion to serve. Other traditional fajita toppings like sour cream and freshly diced tomatoes are also tasty additions.
Can't Take the Heat?
If you have family members with palates particularly sensitive to heat, a BBQ seasoning may be a good swap for the fajita spice. Another option would be to swap ½ teaspoon of chili powder, ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon of onion powder, for the fajita blend.
How to Store Chicken Fajita Pasta Leftovers?
Let them cool to at least close to room temperature, then cover or store in an airtight container and refrigerate. They should last 3-4 days and are great reheated or eaten cold right out of the container. Don't ask how I know that...lol.
Freezing is also an option. Package them with as little air as possible and the pasta should be good in the freezer for a couple months.
More Easy Chicken and Pasta Recipes to Try
- Blackened Chicken
- Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Chicken
- Chicken and Pasta with Fresh Tomato Cream Sauce
- Spicy Chicken Pasta and Peas with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce Taste and See
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Pierogies and Kielbasa Skillet
- Easy Chicken Pasta with White Wine Sauce Certified Pastry Aficionado
Chicken Fajita Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon oil classic olive, avocado or any other high heat oil
- 1 sweet red pepper sliced (or orange, yellow or green bell peppers)
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced *** optional
- 2 teaspoon fajita seasoning
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Mexican cheese blend cheddar, Colby or Pepper Jack are also good choices
- 8 oz dry pasta cooked al dente
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Place large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot pour in olive oil. Add the peppers and onion slices (and garlic if using), then toss with the fajita seasoning and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring a few times.
- Reduce stove to medium heat and add the chicken to the pan and cook stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes, until chunks of chicken are cooked.
- Turn off the burner and stir in the cream and cheese. Once the cheese is smoothly melted, toss in the pasta and mix to coat.