A Blueberry Brie Grilled Cheese sandwich makes a great breakfast or lunch. Kids love this.
This blueberry grilled cheese recipe, is the result of me cleaning up in my kitchen, with a still mostly full pint of blueberries on my counter. My mind wandered, as it usually does, and I started thinking of non-dessert ways to use them up.
Blueberry brie grilled cheese popped into my head, and it seemed not only a plausible use, but one that might just be pretty damn good. Cheesy and just a bit sweet would be the goal. The cheese would need to be relatively mild and oh so rich & gooey. Brie seemed a good fit. A bit of brown sugar would balance out the tartness of the berries & some fresh basil would add color & character.
While I had originally envisioned some wholesome grainy seedy bread for this, my 5 year old, wanted a loaf of fresh Italian bread, so adjustments were made… mom trumps foodie.
Time Saving Tip
Save time and hassle… order groceries and household products through Prime Pantry and get them delivered right to your door! There are frequent deals and even coupons available right at your fingertips.
Blueberry Brie Grill Cheese
Easy blueberry brie grilled cheese sandwich recipe
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 1
- 2 slices of bread (whole grain or crusty Italian are suggested)
- butter or spread
- 1 oz. of sliced brie
- 12-15 blueberries
- 2 tsp. brown sugar (1 inside, 1 outside)
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- Butter one side of each bread slice and place on grill pan over med-high heat.
- Place brie on one slice, top with blueberries, sprinkle with a tsp. of brown sugar.
- Chiffonade the basil and sprinkle over the top, then place other slice of bread on top, press down gently with spatula.
- Flip sandwich, and sprinkle 1/2 the remaining brown sugar on it, along with some cinnamon. Repeat once the other side is lightly browned.
- Flip again, to caramelize the sugar.
- Serve warm.
Sweet potato fries would make a great side for this.