Brie Grilled Cheese
A gooey Brie Grilled Cheese sandwich with blueberries makes a great breakfast or lunch. Kids love this fun sandwich. A bit of cinnamon, brown sugar, and basil were also added to the brie grilled cheese to give it a breakfast feel, but it is meant for eating anytime.
Blueberry Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This blueberry grilled cheese, is the result of me cleaning up in my kitchen, with a still mostly full pint of blueberries on my counter. My mind wandered, as it usually does, and I started thinking of non-dessert ways to use them up.
Blueberry brie grilled cheese sandwich popped into my head, and it seemed not only a plausible use, but one that might just be pretty damn good. Cheesy and just a bit sweet would be the goal. The cheese would need to be relatively mild and oh so rich & gooey. Brie seemed a good fit. A bit of brown sugar would balance out the tartness of the berries & some fresh basil would add color & character.
While I had originally envisioned some wholesome grainy seedy bread for this, my 5 year old, wanted a loaf of fresh Italian bread, so adjustments were made… mom trumps foodie.
Keep a pot of basil in the kitchen and you will always have to fresh.
- 2 slices of bread whole grain or crusty Italian are suggested
- butter or spread
- 1 oz. of sliced brie
- 12-15 blueberries
- 2 tsp. brown sugar 1 inside, 1 outside
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- Butter one side of each bread slice and place on grill pan over med-high heat.
- Place brie on one slice, top with blueberries, sprinkle with a tsp. of brown sugar.
- Chiffonade the basil and sprinkle over the top, then place other slice of bread on top, press down gently with spatula.
- Flip sandwich, and sprinkle 1/2 the remaining brown sugar on it, along with some cinnamon. Repeat once the other side is lightly browned.
- Flip again, to caramelize the sugar.
- Serve warm.
Sweet potato fries would make a great side for this.