Craving flavor, craving gravy, yet trying to stay away from gluten, grains or simply empty calories, not a problem. This rich & creamy chicken dish is certainly comfort food, and it sure packs a lot of flavor. The sauce is mostly sun dried tomatoes and buttermilk, so it has a tangy taste. The buttermilk is also deceptively rich, considering how low in fat and calories it is, teamed with almond butter to provide some healthy satisfying fat and help thicken the sauce, it reads like a decadent rich gravy, but is really very healthy.
I served it over some buttermilk mashed potatoes here, simply because I was craving the potatoes, but this chicken recipe could be served with most anything. I sometimes slice the chicken into bite sized pieces, which cooks a bit quicker (simmer uncovered). This sauce has become sort of a staple in my house.
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp oregano thyme if you prefer
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomato dry packed, sliced
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbs almond butter
- Heat oil in large skillet over med heat. Once hot add the garlic, sun dried tomato and oregano. saute until garlic is soft.
- Add chicken and saute until outside is cooked.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, stock and almond butter, then pour our chicken in pan. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes, then uncover and cook another 6-7 minutes to thicken sauce*.
- Serve over your choice of starch or vegetable.
*if using chicken tenders or sliced chicken reduce cook time and cook uncovered the whole time.