A delicious Parmesan and Walnut Crusted Chicken that is juicy on the inside and covered with a flavorful crunchy coating. This nut crusted chicken breast is far tastier than your standard fare, and the walnuts have beneficial omega-3 fatty acids!
This Walnut Crusted Chicken recipe was created by request of my daughter, after she saw a similar dish in a magazine. I glanced over that recipe, and although I didn't have exactly what was called for, with just a few substitutions I could make a walnut coated chicken she would love even more.... and she did love it!
The recipe was inspired by a Parmesan and Pine Nut-Crusted Oven Fried Chicken from Cooking Light. I pretty much never have pine nuts on-hand, but did have plenty of walnuts... and they are loaded with healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Win win!
Making Walnut Crusted Chicken
The walnut coated chicken breasts or tenders are pan fried in a little oil, then finished in the oven, until golden brown. This makes for a nice moist chicken, yet keeps the absorbed fat to a reasonable level. I have to say, thanks to the walnuts, this chicken smells like heaven frying in that pan.
Recipe takes 25-30 mins total to prepare.
What you will need:
- Finely chopped walnuts
- yellow cornmeal
- onion powder
- dry rosemary leaves
- baking soda
- whole wheat flour
- grated Parmesan cheese
- large egg white
- boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to season the chicken
- light olive oil or avocado oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degree F.
Take each chicken breast (or tender) and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a food processor: Pulse together the nuts, cornmeal, onion powder and rosemary, then mix in the baking soda, flour and cheese to create the coating mixture. Dump this walnut mixture into a shallow bowl.
Beat the egg white and buttermilk together in a medium mixing bowl. Dredge each chicken breast in the egg mixture, then drop into the walnut mixture pressing to help it adhere until well coated.
Put oil in skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, place the chicken breasts or tenders into the pan. Cook in skillet for about 3 minutes, then place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes for tenders, 12-15 minutes for breasts depending on their size. The walnut coating will be browned and crunchy.
Walnut Crusted Chicken Recipe
- ¼ cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1 tbs yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dry rosemary leaves
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless chicken breasts or tenders
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs oil light olive oil or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Combine the walnuts, cornmeal, onion powder and rosemary in a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Combine nut mixture, baking soda, flour and cheese in a shallow dish.
- Combine buttermilk and egg white in a shallow dish. Lightly beat.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk mixture; . Dredge in the walnut mixture.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl. Add chicken; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over. Place pan in oven; bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until chicken is done.