4th of July Popcorn recipe is a fun and festive sweet & savory snack to enjoy on any patriotic holiday. Celebrate Fourth of July, Memorial Day or Veterans Day with this Red White & Blue Popcorn recipe! Kids enjoy making this easy chocolate covered popcorn and everyone will relish eating this patriotic snack.
Making 4th of July Popcorn with Kids
It can be challenging to find recipes appropriate for children of various ages to participate in without making a giant mess. This kid friendly red white & blue 4th of July Popcorn recipe, only need the microwave for cooking. Obviously younger children should not be handling the hot melted chocolate, but tweens can easily do that part. Younger children can be in charge of adding the candy and sprinkles. They can also help with measuring the melts and making the popcorn itself.
Red White & Blue Popcorn: A Festive Firecracker Snack
This chocolate covered red white & blue popcorn recipe is spruced up with sprinkles and a generous dose of Hot Tamales candy (or Red Hots) to give a firecracker flavor! My daughter likes this fun combo as I’m sure most kids will. It is a great way to serve a sweet snack while watching fireworks or a patriotic parade, or simply at home by the pool or watching movies.
Red White & Blue 4th of July Popcorn can be made the evening before if you like, but I would not make it much sooner unless you are putting it in airtight bags.
Get your Patriotic Red White & Blue Sprinkles
Grab your Melts
4th of July Popcorn – Red White & Blue Popcorn Recipe
4th of July popcorn is a festive red white & blue snack to enjoy with your friends and family. Perfect for both Fourth of July & Memorial day parties and activities.
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 1 bag of microwave popcorn, light or regular butter (full sized, not snack)
- 1/2 cup red chocolate candy melts
- 1/2 cup royal blue chocolate candy melts
- 1 cup white chocolate candy melts
- red, white & blue sprinkles
- red cinnamon candy 5 oz. box (Hot Tamales or Red Hots)
- Pop the popcorn and remove the unpopped kernels. Divide into two bowls.
- Place the candy melts in small bowls or glass measuring cups, one for each color.
- Microwave the red candy for 40 seconds then stir, repeat in 20 second intervals until melted and smooth. (takes 1-1 1/2 minutes dependent on melt brand and your microwave).
- Drizzle over of the popcorn in one of the bowls and toss to coat (use a silicone spatula to ensure you get all the candy all out.) Toss the popcorn with your hands until nicely coated.
- Repeat the process with the blue candy melts. (wash spatula or anything else you need to reuse not to blend colors)
- Arrange the red and blue popcorn a large serving platter (or baking sheet, if you are going to bag the popcorn up after). I placed mine in stripes, but you may prefer to mix it together.
- Melt the white candy melts and drizzle over the platter of popcorn, immediately top generously with candy sprinkles. They will adhere to the melted white chocolate candy.
- Finally, toss on the cinnamon candies. Allow the 4th of July Popcorn to cool a few minutes before serving.