This easy to make Million Dollar Pie recipe is one that should absolutely be in everyone's recipe box. A classic diner pie great for any occasion, especially the holidays.
The no bake icebox pie features a delicious creamy filling with shredded coconut, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans. The dreamy frozen whipped topping and sweetened condensed milk mixture of the Million Dollar pie filling flavor is balanced out with the addition of lemon juice, then nestled in a graham cracker pie crust and a maraschino cherry on top of each luscious slice!
What is Million Dollar Pie?
Million Dollar Pie is such a popular classic no bake recipe. It is also commonly known as Millionaire Pie and originated in the Southern part of the United States at a restaurant called Furr’s Cafeteria. The original old fashioned version of Million Dollar Pie did not have maraschino cherries on top. They had another version with cherry pie filling in it, which they called Billionaire pie.
The delicious pie is particularly popular during the holiday season as well as for summer cook-outs and potlucks. Old fashioned Million Dollar pie is one of those desserts you probably remember your grandmother or an aunt bringing to holiday dinner each year.
Twists on the Original Million Dollar Pie Recipe
Old fashioned Million Dollar Pie can be made a few different ways, so there are many different recipe variations out there for this scrumptious no-bake pie. All use a graham cracker crust (I don't recommend a regular pie crust for this pie).
Cream Cheese Million Dollar Pie
While some add cream cheese to this pie, this is a sweetened condensed milk version of the recipe. When made with cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract are also used. Frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed is traditionally used in either version. Using cream cheese makes more of a cheesecake version of the pie, than the authentic recipe, but it is also delicious.
Hawaiian Million Dollar Pie
The coconut crushed pineapple pie is also referred to as Hawaiian Million Dollar pie sometimes too... for obvious reasons. Stir the toasted coconut into the filling and use as a topping too.
Mandarin oranges are a popular addition to the top the pie and they can add a fresh bright feel to the pie.
Mandarin orange slices are even small enough to mix into the filling. Canned peaches are a topping of choice as well, especially in Southern states. If you are a fan of banana cream pie, try adding sliced bananas inside the pie.
Some like to add nuts, such as pecans on top. Toasted coconut is also a favored topping.
No matter what you call it, the rich decadence of this easy to make dessert is sure to make you feel like a million bucks! Even with inflation that's a nice tidy sum...lol.
How to Make Million Dollar Pie
Let me show you how to make this delicious old fashioned no bake dessert. It is a super easy recipe.
Print recipe is found below, which makes two pies. If you just want one pie, you can always freeze the other for later.
The recipe makes two Million Dollar pies, each with 8 slices.
The prep time for this recipe is just 10 minutes (or less). With chilling, total time is about 4 hours.
Ingredients you will need:
- 20 ounce can of drained pineapple (crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits)
- chopped pecans (reserve some pecans for top)
- sweetened condensed milk (14 ounce can)
- sweetened shredded coconut
- fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounce container of non-dairy frozen whipped topping, such as Cool Whip
- 2 graham cracker crusts, standard ready-made (or make your own graham crust with crackers and butter chilled in pie plate)
- maraschino cherries
Large bowl and mixing spoon
This is one of the easiest pies you will ever prepare. Making it requires no cooking at all.
First mix together the pie filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Start by mixing together the sweetened condensed milk, canned pineapple and lemon juice , then stir in the coconut and pecans and finally fold in the thawed whipped topping. (Make sure to drain pineapple before adding.)
Next, pour the creamy filling mixture into ready made graham cracker crusts.
Garnish the top with cherries and pecan pieces, then freeze for a few hours until it is set.
That is all there is to it! Refrigerate until ready to slice and serve. Top each slice with a big dollop of fresh whipped cream if you like.
Of course if you prefer making your own homemade graham cracker pie crust, be my guest. I left easy directions right above the recipe card.
If you want to lighten the creamy classic millionaire pie recipe up a little, that can be done in a few easy steps. First, swap out standard whipped topping in the filling for a lighter version. Next, instead of condensed sweetened milk and sweet coconut, use evaporated milk and unsweetened coconut flakes, then add a zero or reduced calorie sweetener to make up for the difference in flavor and texture.
To add more texture and toasted flavors to the million dollar pie recipe, top it with toasted coconut and pecans. These toppings add a crunchy contrast to the creamy texture of the filling.
To toast them: spread the reserved pecans and portion of the coconut for topping out on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for just a few minutes until edges of coconut start to brown. Cool before placing on the pie.
While the red and white look of this Million Dollar pie is already a festive look for the holiday season. Before serving, add some green jarred cherries along with the red ones for a full on Christmas dessert. Try chopping some up and adding them to the creamy filling too.
MAKE YOUR OWN GRAHAM CRACKER CRUSTS
If you don’t want to get the ready made graham cracker pie crusts, making one for your Million Dollar Pie is pretty easy.
You will need these ingredients to make your homemade graham cracker crust and an 8-9 inch pie pan:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ⅓ cup of melted butter
Mix the crushed graham crackers, sugar and melted butter together well. Spread the crust mixture out in 8-9 inch deep dish pie plate. Press firmly but gently with a spoon, spatula or measuring cup bottom to smooth surface. Chill until graham cracker crust is firm. Don't fill until the graham cracker crusts are cool.
Can you freeze Million Dollar Pie?
Yes, the pie freezes well. It also serves nicely semi-frozen. Just do no refreeze after it has been thawed. Leave it in the freezer after initial chill.
If you make this rich and creamy pie recipe. I'd love to hear how it came out and any fun changes you make.
Million Dollar Pie
- 20 ounce Crushed Pineapple drained
- ½ cup pecans Reserve 2 tablespoons of pecans for topping, the rest of the chopped pecans go in the filling
- 14 ounce Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¾ cup sweetened shredded Coconut DIVIDED ½ cup in filling, ¼ cup on top
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 8 ounce Cool Whip type non-dairy frozen whipped topping thawed
- 2 Graham Cracker Pie Crusts prepared crust or homemade
- 16 Maraschino Cherries for garnish
- Mix well drained pineapple tidbits, ¼ cup of the pecans, ½ cup of the coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- Then fold in the whipped topping.
- Pour pie filling mixture into the prepared graham cracker crust evenly and sprinkle the remaining shredded coconut and pecans over the pie.
- Arrange cherries on top, then freeze for a minimum of 4 hours before serving.
No Bake Pie Recipes!
Here are a few more yummy and easy to make no bake pie recipes to try. All are tried and true.
- Snickers Caramel Apple Pie with crisp fresh fruit is a unique pie everyone will love.
- Make as Easy Peach Pie on a hot summer day and watch it disappear!
- Kool Aid Pie is a super easy 4 ingredient no bake pie you can make in a wide array of colors and flavors.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie is a delicious decadent treat that also requires no baking.