This delicious Crockpot Crack chicken recipe makes a rich and creamy chicken that can be served in a wide variety of ways. The cheesy chicken crockpot dish is perfect for sandwiches, as a hearty dip for chips or top your favorite starch,
The slow cooker recipe features, chicken breast, ranch seasoning, cooked bacon, cheddar cheese and cream cheese. The creamy cheesy slow cooked chicken is bursting with flavor and will quickly become a family favorite
How to Make Crock Pot Crack Chicken
Let's make a batch of this slow cooker Crack Chicken. Follow along here with step-by step instruction with pictures or jump down to the printable recipe card if you prefer.
The recipe makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 6 hours
Ingredients for the Slow Cooker Crack Chicken recipe
- 2-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet ranch dressing seasoning mix, such as Hidden Valley Ranch mix (or 2 tablespoons of homemade ranch seasoning mix)
- 16 ounces (2 packages) cream cheese
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Place the chicken breasts in a large (at least 4-quarts) slow cooker and sprinkle with the ranch seasoning mix. Place the blocks of cream cheese on top of the chicken.
Cover the slow cooker with the lid and set to low. Cook for 6-8 hours until the chicken is tender and easily shreds with a fork. (For faster cooking, set on high for 3-4 hours.)
Shred the chicken with forks (can be done in the slow cooker or on a plate) and stir the cream cheese into the shredded chicken. Do not discard the chicken broth from cooking. Leave it to create proper consistency.
Add the cooked crumbled bacon and sliced green onions and stir well.
Top the shredded chicken mixture with the cheese and place the lid back on the slow cooker, set to low or warm, and allow the cheese to melt.
Once the shredded cheddar cheese is melted, serve the Crockpot Crack Chicken with sandwich buns or tortilla chips for dipping.
Variations on the Recipe
Sticking with the recipe as is is recommended, but there are a few simple changes to the Crockpot Crack Chicken you may prefer.
- While I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken in mine, you can prepare the dish with boneless skinless chicken thighs instead. It a a good choice for those who prefer dark meat and is a budget friendly choice as well.
- Using a couple large cans of canned chicken (undrained) is an option if circumstances make fresh chicken impractical. Slow cooking time can be significantly reduced in this case by at least half.
- Spice it up with a generous splash of hot sauce or some chopped pickled jalapenos.
Serving Crock Pot Crack Chicken
To serve crock pot crack chicken, simply scoop some of the cooked chicken onto toasted buns for sandwiches, or serve over potatoes, rice or noodles. A simple side of veggies completes the meal.
As an appetizer or light meal, serve the Crack Chicken as a dip, along with tortilla chips, pita bread or fresh cut vegetables.
For those on Keto or an other low carb dietary plan, serve the slow cooker Crack Chicken with celery or nuts, on lettuce wraps or low carb wraps or simply over a bed of salad greens or cauliflower rice.
Store meal prepped or leftover Crack Chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave or gently on a stovetop when ready to enjoy!
For longer term storage, freeze the Crockpot Crack Chicken. Put it in freezer safe bags or containers. The creamy chicken will be good for up to 3 months in the freezer.
If you like this creamy chicken slow cooker recipe, you will also want to check out my Crockpot Angel Chicken, Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo and Chicken Tetrazzini with directions for crock pot, Insta pot and stove top.
- 2- pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet ranch dressing seasoning mix
- 16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages )
- 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled into bacon bits
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a large (at least 4-quarts) slow cooker and sprinkle chicken with the ranch seasoning mix. Place the blocks of cream cheese on top of the chicken.
- Place lid on slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until the chicken is tender and easily shreds with a fork. (For faster cooking, put on high for 3-4 hours.)
- Use two forks to shred the chicken (do it right in the slow cooker or on a plate) Add cream cheese to the shredded chicken and stir well. Do not drain off the cooking liquid from the chicken.
- Mix in the cooked crumbled bacon and green onions.
- Top the shredded chicken mixture with the cheese and place the lid back on the slow cooker, set to low or warm, and allow the cheese to melt.
- Once the cheese is melted, serve the Crack Chicken with sandwich buns or tortilla chips for dipping.