On school days, I generally drag myself out of bed a couple hours before the school bus arrives and have my first cup of coffee while preparing my daughter’s lunch. I cook it fresh for her each morning, and always include a few snacks to go with it.
Today, her snacks were carrot sticks and Horizon Organic Fruit Snacks. I love finding easy to pack snacks like these cute cow shaped fruit snacks, which aren’t loaded up with chemicals.
While the wee wonder was at school, I made myself a couple of Kale Macaroni and Cheese individual casseroles. It was a quick and easy meatless lunch, that was quite satisfying, and I still have another serving on hand to reheat for a later meal.
While I enjoy kale in my mac n’ cheese, my little girl only wants hers the traditional way, so she is not interested in the leftovers. I expect a lot of kid’s feel that way…lol.
She did get a kick out of the after school snack I made her though. It’s my take on a PB&J cracker, which features the little Horizon Organic Fruit Snack Cows on a field of peanut butter.
The snack is pretty self explanatory, so I’m just including the recipe for the Kale Macaroni and Cheese. Even that is super simple.
- 1 box of Horizon Pasta Shells & White Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Boil shells, when nearly ready to strain, add the frozen chopped kale right into the boiling water. Cook for a minute, then drain.
- Add the butter and milk to the pan along with the sauce packet from the box. Stir well.
- Add 1/3 cup of cheddar, mix to distribute the cheese, then split between two single serve oven safe dishes or crocks. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 5-6 minutes until cheese on top is bubbly and just starting to brown.
- Remove and serve.
If you are looking for more easy meals for your family, check out the Mealtime Solutions Pinterest board from Horizon. You may also want to follow them on Facebook and Twitter to keep abreast of new products, as well as, some great ideas on how to use them.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic 2015 Social Content. The opinions and text are all mine.