Kale Mac and Cheese is an easy dinner solution to get your kids to eat more vegetables.
On school days, I generally drag myself out of bed a couple hours before the school bus arrives and have my first cup of coffee while preparing my daughter’s lunch. I cook it fresh for her each morning, and always include a few snacks to go with it.
Today, her snacks were carrot sticks and Horizon Organic Fruit Snacks. I love finding easy to pack snacks like these cute cow shaped fruit snacks, which aren’t loaded up with chemicals.
While the wee wonder was at school, I made myself a couple of Kale Macaroni and Cheese individual casseroles. It was a quick and easy meatless lunch, that was quite satisfying, and I still have another serving on hand to reheat for a later meal.
Not sure why adding kale is good, learn the benefits here >> What is Kale?
While I enjoy kale in my mac n’ cheese, my little girl only wants hers the traditional way, so she is not interested in the leftovers. I expect a lot of kid’s feel that way…lol.
She did get a kick out of the after school snack I made her though. It’s my take on a PB&J cracker, which features the little Horizon Organic Fruit Snack Cows on a field of peanut butter.
The snack is pretty self explanatory, so I’m just including the recipe for the Kale Macaroni and Cheese. Even that is super simple.
- 1 box of Horizon Pasta Shells & White Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Boil shells, when nearly ready to strain, add the frozen chopped kale right into the boiling water. Cook for a minute, then drain.
- Add the butter and milk to the pan along with the sauce packet from the box. Stir well.
- Add 1/3 cup of cheddar, mix to distribute the cheese, then split between two single serve oven safe dishes or crocks. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 5-6 minutes until cheese on top is bubbly and just starting to brown.
- Remove and serve.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic 2015 Social Content. The opinions and text are all mine.