Rice cakes bring visions of 80's aerobics chicks chomping on tasteless Styrofoam disks for most of us (including me), so when the box arrived and found the secret ingredient to be a choice of either Wallaby Organic's Greek yogurt or sour cream, I was a bit "Befuzzled". I opened one of the rice cake packages, and after trying the Lundberg rice cake the fog started to clear. Their rice cakes are made from organic brown rice, and don't have that "magically dissolving" quality of many mainstream rice cakes. Now, these you can do things to, that you wouldn't fathom with a tasteless fluff puff type. Rice cakes aren't boring anymore!
Think on that for a minute & don't leave me wondering... that is what the handy dandy comment section is for 😉
Now for you perusal, my recipe mash-up of Greek salad and Italian Panzanella using Lundberg's new Hemp-a-Licious rice cakes & Wallaby Organic's Plain Low Fat Greek Yogurt. Guess what? It was mighty darn tasty.
P.S. Don't forget to check out the giveaway beneath the recipe.
P.P.S. ... and info about their fun Facebook contest too.
Greek Chicken and Rice Cake Salad Recipe (Gluten-Free)
- 1 - 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breasts or tenders if using breasts, slic into strips about the size of tenders
- 8 Lundberg Rice Cakes I used their new Hemp-a-Licious, but the brown rice or Sweet Chili would work nicely as well
- 1 cucumber peeled & diced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup Greek olives
- 8 oz block feta cut into bite size cubes
- 1 cup chopped arugula or other salad green
Greek Yogurt Chicken Marinade
- 6 oz. cup of Wallaby Organic Plain Greek yogurt low fat
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed/minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or sea salt
- ½ tbs lemon zest
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Greek Lemon Dressing
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tbs fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper seeds
- 2 large or 3 small garlic cloves (crushed/minced)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Whisk together ingredients for the yogurt marinate. Add chicken, coat well and leave to marinate a minimum of 3 hours in refrigerator.
- Whisk together the ingredients for Greek Lemon Dressing, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When chicken is ready to grill, oil the grill plates and preheat the grill. Put chicken on then reduce heat to medium. Turn after 5-6 minutes, remove when cooked through (they will be almost done when turned).
- Set grilled chicken aside, and break the rice cakes into a large bowl, leaving some chunks, but don't worry if a lot of it breaks into small bits.
- Add the cucumber, tomato, olives, feta and arugula. Mix.
- Chop the chicken into bite size chunks, and add the salad mixture. Pour the lemon dressing in and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours before serving (overnight is even better).