I have the tendency to morph into a bit of a mad scientist in the kitchen, and regularly have to remind myself of the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). This redirection has helped me considerably, and my results have improved. It is true that when you limit the number of ingredients and techniques used, your flavors don’t get muddled about.
Did I feel the urge to toss in a few more elements in these shrimp spring rolls? Yes, but they wouldn’t have benefited from it. Sometimes restraint is a good thing. Here it resulted in a simple easy to prepare appetizer, that is not only more than flavorful enough to stand on it’s own without a dipping sauce, but is also low it fat and calories. Oh, and gluten free, as well.
This herbed shrimp spring rolls recipe makes a perfect light summer lunch or appetizer.Print
Herbed Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe
Easy flavorful shrimp spring rolls. Under 200 calories per serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped raw wild shrimp
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbs. garlic seasoned rice vinegar
- 12-16 fresh basil leaves
- 4 spring roll wraps
- Preheat oil in shallow skillet on med-high.
- Toss in the shrimp, and quickly toss.
- While shrimp is still semi-raw, add dill and vinegar. Toss and immediately remove from pan and put in another container so they don’t get tough.
- Soak rice wraps in warm water (they soften quick).
- Lay 3-4 basil leaves on a wrap.
- Scoop 1/4 of the shrimp onto the leaves, and wrap like a burrito (as snugly as you can).
- Serve the shrimp spring rolls promptly.
The herbs and seasoned vinegar add a surprising amount of flavor. No dipping sauce is needed for these shrimp spring rolls.
*technically these would be more accurately called summer rolls
- Serving Size: 2 rolls
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Protein: 23
If this recipe isn’t quite what you are looking for, but you still need a light spring – summer roll recipe, check out the selection of summer roll recipes at Cooking Light.