These Shrimp & Spinach Quinoa Cakes make a great gluten-free appetizer, or meal. They are also perfect for an on the go snack. While they are tasty on their own, they team well with typical condiments used with crab cakes. I served one batch with dill mayonnaise, and the other with lemon wedges and a little hot chili garlic sauce. They were YUMMY, and did not last long.
Shrimp & Spinach Quinoa Cakes are easily either pan fried or baked in the oven. Directions for both cooking methods are included below. Baking adds fewer calories, while pan frying makes a better crust, but both methods work well.
- 9 oz package of frozen spinach
- 1/2 tbs oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 - 1 lb of raw shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs tapioca starch
- oil for frying or greasing baking sheet
- Microwave the spinach until thawed. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 tbs oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Once hot, add quinoa, onion and garlic. Saute until onion is cooked and quinoa is toasted. Add stock. Cover and reduce to simmer until liquid is absorbed (approx. 15 min). Remove from burner and uncover to cool.
- Peel and devein the shrimp, then chop. Yield should be approx 9 oz.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the frozen spinach, then mix both the shrimp & spinach into the quinoa.
- Beat the eggs with the tapioca starch, then add to the quinoa mixture. Mix well.
- If pan frying: Place 1/4 inch of high heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Use an oiled 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the cakes. Gently form into patties about 3/4 - 1 inch thick. Once hot fry the cakes until golden brown on underside, then flip and brown other side. Take care not to crowd the pan, you will need to cook them in 2 batches.
- Oven Frying: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking sheet (I used palm oil). Use oiled 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the mix and plop onto sheet, form into 3/4 -1 inch thick cakes. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the cakes and bake another 10 minutes.