These grilled curry shrimp are both sweet & fiery. I typically make a sweet curry glaze for my shrimp, when I’m in the mood for something like this, but decided to try out a rub. I was pleased with the results, and the drier shrimp were easier to handle. A glaze could of course be added , but these grilled curry shrimp really didn’t need it.
Grilled Curry Shrimp
Jumbo Wild shrimp are skewered and seasoned with a simple curry rub. These cook up quickly, so they make a great appetizer while waiting on slow cooking meats. The grilled shrimp also make a wonderful dinner served over rice with some Pineapple Salsa or Yum Yum Sauce .
Selecting Shrimp for Grilling
I used wild American 16/25 shrimp, since I was lucky enough to find a great deal on them. I generally just skip eating shrimp, if I can’t find a good sale on wild ones. Wild American shrimp have much better flavor, and don’t have the health safety concerns of foreign farmed shrimp, which I won’t get into here, since it would be rather unappetizing.
Curry Rub for Shrimp
This easy curry rub for shrimp is mixed up in seconds and adds so much to the grilled shrimp! Includes a traditional version, as well as Keto rub version for those on a low carb diet.
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbs raw sugar* , Use Erythritrol if on Keto
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp Kosher salt*
- 1 pound raw wild shrimp headed & peeled, tail on
- Preheat the grill.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Toss shrimp in the seasoning mix, then skewer (pre-soak skewers in water if they are wood)
- Grill until edges start to lose translucency, then flip and grill for about a minute, then pull. It is better to err toward slightly underdone, as they will cook more on plate & we don't want them to get tough. Cook time will vary significantly by shrimp size and grill heat.
*if substituting table salt for Kosher reduce by about a third