Hot appetizer recipes are always a hit at any party and this Kentucky Hot Brown appetizer recipe is definitely a winner.
This post brought to you by Sargento. The Kentucky Hot Brown appetizer recipe and opinions expressed below are that of Mom Foodie.
The Hot Brown, widely known as the Kentucky Hot Brown is a classic southern recipe that is often featured around the time of the Derby. I thought, why wait? With a couple little twists, this recipe has become football food, a perfect party appetizer for the big game and of course an absolute must for any Derby Day Party!
In case you are not familiar with the traditional Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich, it was developed at the Brown Hotel back in the 1930’s and features turkey and tomatoes over toasts in a skillet, with Morney sauce over it and bacon. The open-faced sandwich is then baked until it is nicely browned.
Kentucky Hot Brown Appetizers
Rather than fresh tomato, I opted for oil packed sun-dried tomatoes. The reasoning for this was more concentrated flavor and less mess, so guests can just grab and enjoy.
The other change was to use Sargento Savory Garlic & Herb Jack Snack Bites* in the sauce. The cheese melted wonderfully and the seasonings really added to the overall flavor of the sauce. As you can see below the sauce had a perfect creamy cheesiness. Nothing artificial here folks. *This is one of Sargento’s newer products, if you have trouble finding it grab a bag of their shredded 4 Cheese Mexican and sprinkle a little garlic powder and herbs into the sauce.
Video of making the Kentucky Hot Brown Appetizers for your viewing pleasure 😉
A fun Kentucky Hot Brown Appetizer Recipe that is great anytime of year, but perfect for Kentucky Derby Day!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 French Baguette
- 1 1/2 cups roast turkey chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes oil packed, drained - finely chopped
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- bag of Sargento Savory Garlic & Herb Jack Snack Bites
- sliced scallions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop the bacon into 1 inch wide slices. Place in hot skillet over med-high heat, and render the fat. Remove from burner, and scoop out bacon. Drain bacon bits on paper towel and reserve the rendered fat.
- Slice the baguette into slices about 1/3 inch wide. Arrange on a baking sheet, then lightly baste one side with bacon fat. Flip that side down.
- Mix together chopped turkey and sun-dried tomatoes. Arrange on tops of bread slices. No need to be fussy, just try and get most of the mixture on the bread and evenly distributed.
- Drop butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted add the flour, stir then immediately add milk. Whisk briskly until smooth and sauce has a gravy like consistency. Add the Sargento Snack Bites, and stir until fully dissolved.
- Ladle the sauce over the bread and turkey. Top with the bacon.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until edges and bits of the cheese sauce are starting to nicely brown.
- Garnish with scallions.
Real Cheese Makes All the Difference
Sargento cheese is always 100% real, natural cheese, with no artificial ingredients. Their shredded and sliced cheeses are cut right off the block, every time. Available in 30 versatile varieties, distinct cuts and unique blends such as 4 State Cheddar and 6 Cheese Italian. Check out