Are you looking for something a bit different, but traditional enough not to shock fussy eaters this Valentine’s Day? Try making a batch of these Lemon Pomegranate Cupcakes for your loved ones.
These tangy little Lemon Pomegrante Cupcakes are a pretty easy recipe to make. Scratch recipes for both the lemon cupcakes and pomegranate frosting are included below. If you are timid about baking and feel more comfortable with box mix, by all means feel free to use a quality lemon cake mix, and top with the pomegranate frosting, for a semi-homemade version.
Lemon Pomegranate Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Pomegranate seeds
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Beat the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix for 1 minute until well combined.
- Add half of the milk and mix, now add another third of the flour mix.
- Add in the rest of the milk then the rest of the dry ingredients, mix for 2 minutes.
- Using a spoon or scoop fill the cupcakes 3/4 of the way full in the prepared tins and bake about 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, start the frosting.
- Place the pomegranate juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil until it has reduced by half.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the butter until light and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on low until combined.
- Add in the cooled, reduced pomegranate juice and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and top with fresh pomegranate seeds.