This Mocha Chip Cookie recipe features a coffee zing and brown butter to elevate the classic chocolate chip cookie.
Mocha Chip Cookie Recipe:Origin
Brown Butter Mocha Chip Cookies are a caffeine fortified spin off of the Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies featured in the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe makeover on Cooking Light. Instant espresso provides the coffee element to the recipe, and gently browning the butter allows for great flavor with only half the typically quantity. While the chefs at Cooking Light, substituted canola oil for some of the fat used, I went straight butter. I also shifted a few other ingredient quantities slightly to accommodate for the addition of the espresso and my personal taste, as well as reducing the baking temperature slightly. You will also find brown butter used in my Banana Bundt Cake, for the same reasons mentioned above.
The result is perhaps not quite as "healthified", as their version, but still considerably lower in fat and calories than a standard chocolate chip cookie. I think the added elements brought the Mocha chip cookie recipe up a notch, at least in the eyes of this coffee fiend. My Java Chip ice cream lovin' pal ate a dozen of these last night & I think he would have gone for more if we didn't run out of cookies...lol.
Brown Butter Mocha Chip Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tbs instant espresso granules
- ¾ cup pure cane sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently brown the butter in small sauce pan or skillet. Take off burner and set aside Take care not to burn the butter, just brown it.
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla & espresso granules until espresso is mostly dissolved.
- Add the butter and sugars and whisk again.
- Add the flours, salt and baking powder and mix well, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto parchment lined baking sheets (approx. 1 ½ tbs each).
- Bake for 12 minutes, cool then serve or store in airtight container.
Mmmmm. If there's something I like better than coffee, it's anything coffee-flavored.
Penelope (NYC Blogger) says
Combining cookies and java is GENIUS!
Tricia @ Night owl mama says
your treats always make me hungry
I've never made cookies with coffee before, but I love cookies and coffee together, so I bet this is awesome!
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy.com says
YUM! I love me some cookies.
You had me at Espresso. 🙂