These cheesy Keto Stuffed Artichokes make a fantastic appetizer, side dish, or light meal.
Keto Stuffed Artichokes
Stuffed artichokes are kind of a big deal in my area, especially during the spring and early summer months. We have a large Italian population in the area, so even those not of that ancestry have becaome accostmmed to great Itaian food.
Well, we don't want to miss out on stuffed artichokes, just because we are on a low carb diet do we? No worries, the solution is right here... Keto Stuffed Artichokes!
Yes please! These low carb stuffed artichokes have just 5 net carbs per serving. The carbs are kept so low by using crushed pork rinds in place of bread crumbs.
How to Make Keto Stuffed Artichokes
There is a walk through of the process of making these keto compliant cheesy stuffed artichokes. Full printable recipe can be found below.
First, put on a pot with about an inch of salted water in it. Add lemon juice right before adding the artichokes. The lemon juice helps keep the artichoke from turning brown.
Then, you need to prep the fresh artichoke. The top is chopped off and the picky point of each leave is snipped off with kitchen shears.
Place the artichoke in the pot and cover to steam. Takes about 20-25 minutes, depending on size of artichoke/s. Once tender, remove and drain well.
Mix the the parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, pork rind crumbs, chopped parsley and most of the mozzarella together in a bowl to make the keto stuffing.
Now place the artichoke on a baking dish. Then Pull apart the artichoke leaves and spoon in the stuffing mixture. No worries some will fall out. It it is a lot, just scoop most of it up and put it on top.
Finally, take the reserved mozzarella and spinkle it on top. Now pop that bad boy under your broiler, until...
It looks bubbly and crsipy golden brown on top. Serve with wedges of fresh lemon.
To eat, just pull off each leaf. bite down and gently pull. The soft meaty part and and stuffing will come off and any tough parts are then discarded.
Keto Stuffed Artichoke Recipe
- 1 Large artichoke
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ½ c. Shredded pork rind crumbs
- ½ c. Shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ c. Grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon Freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place about an inch of water in the bottom of a skillet or pot on the stove over medium heat, and bring to a low boil.
- Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to the water.
- Cut the stem off of the artichoke, as well as a small portion of the top. Take kitchen scissors and snip off the sharp pointy end of each of the artichoke’s leaves. The center of the artichoke with purple leaves is prickly too. That can be removed, but it is easier just to leave it and avoid while eating.
- Place the prepared artichoke into the water face up, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the artichoke from the water, drain and allow it to cool for several minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all but a few tablespoons of the mozzarella cheese, the parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, pork rind crumbs, chopped parsley as well as salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine well.
- Using a spoon, stuff the mixture into the artichoke being careful to get it into each section.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top of the artichoke.
- Place the stuffed artichoke on a baking dish or tray, and broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese has begun to bubble and become golden brown.