I have been watching the Kentucky Derby every year for quite some time. For many years, Derby Day meant Mint Juleps for me, but these days my viewing companion is my preschooler, so non-alcoholic beverages are more in order. As the race is coming up this Saturday (May 5th), it seemed the perfect time to share a drink recipe with you.Print
Kentucky Derby Ginger-Peach Iced Tea
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 4
- walnut sized piece of ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peach slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (18.5 oz.) bottles of unsweetened Pure Leaf tea
- Cut the ginger into quarters, and give them a good bash with the back of a skillet.
- Put the ginger, water, peaches and sugar into a sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Stir frequently, while boiling for 4-5 minutes.
- Take off burner and strain. (toss out the ginger, reserve the peaches to add to drink, or for desserts).
- Once syrup is cool, put 3 tbs. of it into an ice filled tall glass, and top with unsweetened Pure Leaf Tea.
*optional add, the reserved or frozen peaches. Mint would make a nice garnish.
If you are having a Derby Party, having bottles of several varieties of Pure Leaf Tea in a large bin of ice would be very inviting for guests, and fit well into a Derby theme. The well blended teas are delicious on there own, or as a mixer for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Check out Pure Leaf’s recipe page for more ideas. If you liked my recipe, you may want to look at Gail Simmons Lemon-Ginger “Tulep” and her Peach-Ginger Fizz on the Pure Leaf Facebook Page, they are in a rather similar vein, and you might prefer her recipes, after all she is a Top Chef judge.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Lipton Pure Leaf. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for participating.