This Hash Brown Breakfast recipe is an easy hearty breakfast skillet your family will love. You will love that it is all cooked in one skillet.
A crispy hash browns skillet with ham, eggs and cheese makes the perfect comfort food breakfast. It is basically a breakfast casserole made in your skillet rather than a baking dish!
Skillet Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
I love starting the day with a nice hot, hearty breakfast, but it can be a bit time consuming. Honestly in a groggy state, making coffee can be challenging for me when I first get up. I've been making a real breakfast more often lately. Frozen shredded potatoes have been a life saver, no way I'm shredding fresh hash browns early in the morning.
Crispy hash browned potatoes make the base of this skillet meal. Chopped ham, sunny side up eggs and cheddar top it off. While really quite simple, I think it presents well. The hash brown skillet recipe takes just 5 minutes of prep, then 15 mins on the stove top and 10 mins in the oven.
How to Make Hash Brown Breakfast Skillet
Let's make the hash brown skillet breakfast casserole. Here are step by step instructions. Print recipe below.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ bag Shredded Hash Browns
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 deli slices of ham chopped
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the hash browns for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned but not quite crisp.
Spread them evenly in the pan then press down with spatula, top with ½ the cheese, then the chopped ham.
Press down again, then crack the eggs and gently drop each over the top. Pop the skillet in the oven for 7-8 minutes, until eggs are nearly set, but some whites are still translucent.
Take the skillet out, sprinkle on shredded cheese around the eggs and return to over for 2 more minutes to melt cheese and egg whites are set.
Hash Brown Skillet Variations
Feel free to mix things up with this skillet breakfast. Here are a few ideas:
- Add peppers and onions (in with the potatoes or cooked ones on top)
- Swap crispy bacon (cook and drain on paper towel before adding) for the ham.
- Try diced potatoes instead of the shredded, cook time may need to be adjusted. Fry until golden brown before adding toppings.
- Chorizo or breakfast sausage are also tasty meat options. Use cooked and drained sausage.
Hash Brown Breakfast Skillet Recipe
- 1 tbs butter
- 10 oz Frozen Shredded Hash Browns
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 deli slices of ham chopped
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place non-stick oven safe skillet over a med-high burner. Add butter. Once melted add the potatoes.
- Cook the hash browns for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned but not quite crisp.
- Spread them evenly in the pan then press down with spatula, top with ½ the cheese, then the chopped ham. Press down again, then crack eggs and drop over the top.
- Pop the skillet in the oven for 7-8 minutes, until eggs are nearly set.
- Take the skillet out sprinkle cheese around the eggs and return to over for 2 more minutes to melt cheese and finish setting eggs.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.