I sometimes toss together vegetarian quinoa recipes for dinner, when I don’t feel like dealing with cooking meat. This Buttermilk Quinoa Casserole with Portabella Mushrooms came together last night on a whim. While I made it as a casserole, the quinoa could just as easily be simmered on the stove top, with the cheese stirred in.
I found quinoa casserole to be a very versatile dish. As I was the only one eating it (Little Foodie won’t), I had a good amount of leftovers. The next morning I scooped some black beans on top of some of this vegetarian quinoa, and microwaved it, then added sliced avocado and salsa. That meal fueled me right through to the afternoon, and I’m generally a big snacker.
Buttermilk Quinoa Casserole with Mushrooms
Quinoa casserole featuring buttermilk and Crimini mushrooms. An easy vegetarian quinoa recipe. Gluten free too.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: entree
- Cuisine: vegetarian
- 1 tbs butter (or fat of choice)
- 1 large Vidalia onion diced
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 8 oz of crimini mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tsp organic chicken or vegetable base/bouillon
- 1 1/3 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 1/3 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced fat shredded cheddar (or about 3 slices)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put butter in oven safe pan over med-high heat.
- Saute the onions. Once soft add the quinoa and mushrooms. Continue sauteing until mushrooms have softened.
- Whisk the base into a little of the milk, then add along with all the milks into pan. Stir, then cover and place in oven.
- After 25 minutes, stir and top with cheese. Recover and bake 10-15 more minutes. Check to see liquid is all absorbed.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
- Calories: 342
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 18