This Ratatouille Soup recipe with quinoa is a dieter’s dream. The recipe is quick to make, low calorie, gluten free and vegan, but packs also a lot of flavor and nutrients. While summer is ideal for making this fresh low calorie soup (under 100 calories per serving). The vegetables used in preparing this quinoa soup recipe are available year round in good quality and reasonably priced.
Ratatouille Soup with Quinoa: A Nourishing Low Calorie Soup
With all the baking and such I’ve been doing lately, it seemed high time I made a lighter low calorie dish, so I whipped up this Ratatouille Soup for lunch today. This is a quick-cooking low calorie soup. 10 minutes to saute veggies and quinoa and 20 minutes simmering. It is packed with plenty of veggies, and is even gluten-free. I was satisfied with a bowl of this for lunch, but it would also pair wonderfully with a sandwich or as a dinner starter.
Low Calorie Soup
The soup features the vegetables common in traditional ratatouille, teamed with a some quinoa which thickens the soup a little, making it a bit more substantial, but not dense. It is actually quite hearty, especially considering it’s a soup under 100 calories per serving.
Time Saving Tip
Save time and hassle… order groceries and household products through Prime Pantry and get them delivered right to your door! There are frequent deals and even coupons available right at your fingertips.
Ratatouille Quinoa Soup Recipe
Here is how to make this quick vegetarian low calorie soup.
Ratatouille Soup with Quinoa
- 1 tbs olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced eggplant most of the skin removed, but leave a little for color
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini squash quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 6 cups of vegetable stock substitute chicken stock if you prefer
- 3 cups of crushed tomato
- 1/4 cup hot chopped peppers jarred
- Toss the eggplant, zucchini, onion and garlic in oil. Then place in a preheated (med-high) dutch oven or soup pot.
- Saute for about 2 minutes, then add quinoa and herbs. Saute until quinoa is golden brown and veggies have started to caramelize (about 8 more minutes).
- Add the stock, then tomatoes and peppers, stir.
- Once it comes to a rapid boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh chopped basil or grated cheese.