Black Bean Quinoa Soup is a hearty vegetarian soup you are sure to enjoy. It is an inexpensive dish as well.
I have been experimenting with different whole grains a lot lately, especially quinoa recipes. This Black Bean and Quinoa Soup recipe is one of the more successful of results. The texture of the soup is somewhat thick (stew may have been a more appropriate title), so it is filling. This bean and quinoa soup is very high in protein and fiber. It also provides a good deal of iron and lycopene, from the addition of spinach and tomatoes. It doesn’t get much healthier than this easy inexpensive soup.
Be sure to check out the rest of my quinoa recipes while you are here.
- 1 lb. black beans pre-soaked and rinsed
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed/minced
- 3/4 cup carrot small diced approx.1 extra large carrot
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 9 cups chicken or vegetable stock 2 qts. plus a cup
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 oz. petite diced tomatoes canned
- 8 oz spinach
- Rinse and soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse again. Set aside.
- Put oil in large stock pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Once hot add carrots and garlic, saute, until garlic is cooked through.
- Add the quinoa, stir and cook another minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the spinach. Cover and simmer.
- After 2 hours, add spinach, and continue to cook until beans are soft.
Nice served with diced tomatoes and fresh herbs, as shown above. Also great with: salsa or sour cream. Tortilla chips or whole grain rolls make a great side with this soup.