Black Bean Quinoa Soup is a hearty vegetarian soup you are sure to enjoy. It is an inexpensive dish as well.
Black bean soup is already high in protein, but with the addition of quinoa the vegan soup becomes a more complete source of this vital nutrient.
I have been experimenting with different whole grains a lot lately, especially quinoa recipes. This Black Bean and Quinoa Soup recipe is one of the more successful of results.
The texture of the black bean soup with quinoa is somewhat thick (stew may have been a more appropriate title), so it is filling. Due to both the black beans and quinoa, it is very high in protein and fiber. The soup also provides a good deal of iron and lycopene, from the addition of spinach and tomatoes.
You would be hard pressed to find a healthier soup than this easy inexpensive vegan black bean soup.
Optional Add-ins: I purposely kept this soup recipe simple. Here are a few ingredient options to add to the soup pot to make the recipe your own:
- Add a couple teaspoons of chili powder and a little cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. A tablespoon of homemade Cajun seasoning would also be a great way to spice things up.
- Swap the canned tomatoes for a jar of salsa.
- Use kale or other greens in place of the spinach. You will need to add them in about 30 minutes sooner to become tender.
- Diced sweet potato can be added like in my Sweet Potato Kale Peanut Soup Recipe. The nutrient rich tuber lends a mild sweetness to the soup.
Be sure to check out the rest of my quinoa recipes while you are here. If you prefer a lighter soup, try my Ratatouille Soup with Quinoa. It is one of my lower calorie soup recipes and full of fresh vegetables.
Black Bean Quinoa Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. black beans pre-soaked and rinsed
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed/minced
- ¾ cup carrot small diced approx.1 extra large carrot
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 9 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if vegetarian is not a concern
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 oz. petite diced tomatoes canned
- 8 oz spinach
- Rinse and soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse again. Set aside.
- Put oil in large stock pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Once hot add carrots and garlic, sauté, until the garlic is cooked through.
- Add the quinoa and bay leaves, stir and cook another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth. Cover and simmer.
- After 2 hours, add spinach, and continue to cook until black beans are soft.