Sweet Potato & Kale Peanut Soup is a great way to add the exotic to your meal plans without difficult prep or blowing your diet. This Light flavorful recipe is easy to make and pretty quick too.
When watching calories, finding hearty dishes that will satisfy can sometimes be a challenge. This spicy-tangy Sweet Potato & Kale Peanut Soup Recipe, is filling yet low in fat due to the use of powdered peanuts rather than peanut butter, and it packs a wallop of low calorie flavor, thanks to red curry and Apple Cider Vinegar. I often add a splash of apple cider vinegar to various dishes I create. It is a wonderful way to boost flavor without adding calories, and has the added bonus of being good for the digestive system (just one of it’s many purported benefits). Here it help me keep the calories per serving down to 188 and sodium at 471, without sacrificing flavor.
Product sample provided.
In this light and healthy Sweet Potato & Kale Peanut Soup, I happened to use the standard filtered Heinz Apple Cider, but would have just as happily used the unfiltered (it just wasn’t in stock at my local Walmart). Heinz Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar retains the “mother” of the vinegar, which is the cloudy stuff you sometimes see in a vinegar bottle. The mother is said by many to increase the healthful benefits of apple cider vinegar, so if a cloudy vinegar doesn’t bother you, it is a smart choice. One of my friend’s swears by maple syrup sweetened unfiltered apple cider vinegar for joint aches and weight loss. I’d rather cook, bake or pickle with it myself, but he seems pleased with the results.Print
Sweet Potato & Kale Peanut Soup
Sweet Potato & Kale Peanut Soup Recipe that is low in fat and calories, with plenty of fiber & protein. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soup
- 1 tbs oil (I used grapeseed, but olive or canola would be fine)
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled & diced small
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale, de-stemmed
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar (regular or unfiltered)
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 2/3 cup peanut flour (also sold as powdered peanut butter)
- Heat oil over med-high burner. Once hot add sweet potato. Saute for 10 min.
- Add onion and garlic, saute 5 more minutes.
- Add Kale and saute another 5 minute Kale should still be green and wilted, onions lightly carmelized and sweet potatoes will be browned, but not burnt. (see pic)
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well. As soon as it starts to boil, reduce heat to med-low. Simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 471
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 11
- Cholesterol: 0