Spicy Honey Roasted Pumpkin is an easy pumpkin recipe that keeps it simple. Seasoned pumpkin slices eaten right off the skin. It is a delicious side dish recipe or healthy snack for fall, that everyone including kids will love. You may want to swap the spice blend a bit to reduce heat for little ones though.
Golden brown spicy and sweet roasted pumpkin makes a great rustic autumn appetizer too, perfect for tailgating, bonfires and casual gatherings of family and friends.
Spicy Honey Roasted Pumpkin
While I enjoy recipes with mashed pumpkin, I feel freshly cut pumpkin is an under used ingredient in American kitchens. It cooks quickly and is surprisingly versatile, working well in both savory and sweet recipes, or like in the one I am about to share with you here... a little of both.
Sweet and Savory Fall Pumpkin Treat
It's pumpkin season and my daughter had gone on a field trip to a farm with her classmates recently. She brought home a little sugar pumpkin (about 6-7" in diameter), along with a few carrots the children had harvested.
We already had one larger pumpkin, I'd managed to grow in our garden without any varmints chowing on it & will pick up a few more big ones for carving this week (after all half the fun for kids is reaching their short little arms deep down in the squishy pumpkin guts).
Hence, this wee little guy got sliced up and roasted this afternoon. I left the skin on for addition, color & nutrients, as well as to hold the slices together better. The honey roasted pumpkin slices went over very well with both of us.
If you actually end out with any leftovers, simply store the cooled roasted pumpkin wedges in an airtight container and refrigerate, They will be good for at least 3 days.
Alternately, run a spoon against where the pumpkin flesh meets the skin and store that for later use. This way it can also be frozen for longer storage. It's a nice addition to soups, salads and pasta or rice dish recipes.
Sugar pumpkins are idea for this, but any small pumpkin or winter squash, such as butternut or acorn squash can also be used for roasting like this.
Alternately, run a spoon against where the pumpkin flesh meets the skin and store that for use in recipes. It's a nice addition to soups, salads and pasta or rice dishes.
Spicy Honey Roasted Pumpkin Recipe
- 1 small sugar pumpkin around 6-7" diameter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- pinch of Kosher salt
- ½ tbs apple cider vinegar*
- Core and clean out pumpkin, then slice pumpkin with a sharp knife into ½ to ¾ inch slices vertically. Place in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Minced the garlic, then add oil, honey and spice blend ingredients in small bowl. Whisk well, then pour over pumpkin.
- Toss the pumpkin until well coated, then dump onto parchment paper lined baking sheet or large flat baking dish (I used a non-stick Paella pan myself). Spread the pumpkin out.
- Place in oven to roast. Flip the slices over after 10 minutes, then roast an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve as is, or with a drizzle of balsamic, tangy dressing or honey. Season with salt if you like. Hot or room temperature.