Spicy Honey Roasted Pumpkin is an easy pumpkin recipe that keeps it simple. Seasoned pumpkin slices eaten right off the skin.
While I enjoy recipes with mashed pumpkin, I feel freshly cut pumpkin is an under used ingredient in American kitchens. It cooks quickly and is surprisingly versatile, working well in both savory and sweet recipes, or like in the one I am about to share with you here… a little of both.
My daughter had gone to a farm on a field trip recently, and brought home a little pumpkin (about 6-7″ in diameter), along with a few carrots the children had harvested. We already had one larger, but lone pumpkin, I’d managed to grow without any varmints chowing on it & will pick up a few more big ones for carving this week (after all half the fun for kids is reaching their short little arms deep down in the squishy pumpkin guts). Hence, this wee little guy got sliced up and roasted this afternoon. I left the skin on for addition, color & nutrients, as well as to hold the slices together better. The roasted pumpkin slices went over very well with both of us.Print
Spicy Honey Roasted Pumpkin Recipe
Spicy Honey roasted Pumpkin is simply seasoned and roasted wedges of fresh pumpkin. Eat the roasted pumpkin right off the skin.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1 small pumpkin (around 6-7″ diameter)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar*
- Core and clean out pumpkin, then slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices vertically. Place in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Minced the garlic, then add remaining ingredients in small bowl. Whisk well, then pour over pumpkin.
- Toss the pumpkin until well coated, then dump onto non-stick baking sheet or large flat pan (I used a non-stick Paella pan myself). Spread the pumpkin out.
- Place in oven to roast. Flip the slices over after 10 minutes, then roast an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve as is, or with a drizzle of balsamic, tangy dressing or honey. Hot or room temperature.
*if gluten-free, make sure it is brand actually made from apples