These pizza style vegetarian quinoa stuffed peppers are a fusion of two different cuisines. The quinoa is an earthy South American food staple, and pizza is a culinary giant in Italy and America. This dish is an easy-to-prepare gluten-free vegetarian meal that can make for a satisfying dinner on its own or as part of a larger meal.
These "pizza style" Tomato-Basil Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Mozzarella, are an answer to getting your family to eat a healthy, low fat, high fiber, whole grain meal without complaints. While this stuffed pepper recipe is meatless, quinoa is considered a complete protein, and the mozzarella adds another 7 grams of protein to the meal. These quinoa stuffed peppers are gluten free, as well.
How to Make Pizza Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa
A great easy recipe to introduce this pseudo grain in a kid friendly way, since the stuffed bell peppers have the pizza flavors most children already love.
Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 cup golden quinoa
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large clove of garlic crushed & minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes 15 oz.
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 large red sweet peppers
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Marinara or other tomato sauce to top
- Put quinoa, broth, garlic, crushed red pepper & roasted tomatoes in sauce pan. Bring to boil, then reduce and simmer about 3o minutes (see pic for consistency you want).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix in the Parmesan and chopped basil.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise, and remove core & seeds.
- Generously pack the pepper "boats" with quinoa stuffing.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top each stuffed pepper with 1 oz. of mozzarella cheese. Bake 8-10 more minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned on edges.