This Creamy Chicken Quinoa “Risotto” with Sweet Peppers and Mushrooms is a little richer than most of the quinoa recipes I make, but the cream and cheese were kept to just what seemed to be necessary. No need to turn the dish into a complete “fat fest”.
The photos I’ve shared here are actually of a batch of quinoa risotto which was made the prior evening. You see, as the pot was simmering, soon to be plated, big black storm clouds rolled in making the light of early evening fade to near pitch black. I’ve been pretty much doing all my photography by natural light in recent months, so when the agitated storm gods rolled in and unleashed their soggy wrath, it promptly put a squash on any sort of photo shoot for me. Luckily, my subject is a patient sort, and leftovers stored well overnight. I think this quinoa risotto even tastes even better the next day.
The recipe is gluten free, if a non-msg stock is used.
Creamy Chicken Quinoa Risotto with Sweet Peppers & Mushrooms
- 1 tbs oil
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced
- 1 sweet yellow pepper cored, sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 pound chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-6 oz. Portabella mushroom (sliced)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock preferably MSG free
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Kosher or Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Put oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot add the onion, pepper, garlic, and quinoa. Stir fry until the vegetables are cooked and quinoa is lightly toasted.
- Reduce heat to medium, add chicken and herbs, Saute 1 minute, then add mushrooms.
- Saute with mushrooms for a minute, then add stock, wine and cream. Stir then cover to cook for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes, remove cover, reduce heat to low-med. and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until most, but not all the sauce it absorbed or evaporated.
- Turn off heat and stir in the Parmesan and goat cheese.
- Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Serve with sprinkle of cheese or fresh chopped chives.