Walnut Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies are a delightful bright addition to any cookie platter. They make a lovely contrast against chocolate and heavier drop style cookies. I’m sharing this lightly sweet and nutty lemon shortbread cookies recipe with you today, so you can enjoy them too.
The combination of walnuts and Meyer lemon is a dessert favorite of mine and one my daughter seems to have inherited as well. I have a Walnut Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake recipe I’ll be sharing next week. For me anyway, the rich meatiness of chopped walnuts are the perfect foil against the fragrance and tangy flavor of fresh Meyer lemons. This this shortbread cookie, these two flavors are certainly the stars.
Walnut Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies Recipe Preparation
These delightfully nutty lemon shortbread cookies are quite easy to make. You just need a little patience letting them chill before cutting, so you will have nice medallions. Full recipe below.
After mixing and lightly kneading the dough, it is split into two logs and refrigerated to firm up.
The Walnut Meyer Lemon shortbread cookie dough is carefully sliced and placed on parchment for baking.
The cookies stay true to their original shape during baking, just cool before serving or packing to give as gifts.
Walnut Meyer Lemon Cookies pair wonderfully with tea, but I have been enjoying them with coffee myself.Print
Walnut Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours 12 minutes
- Yield: 30
- Category: Dessert
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup confectionery sugar
- 2 tbs fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- zest of 2 Meyer lemons
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- In a small separate bowl mix salt in lemon juice to dissolve then add to butter mixture along with the zest, and mix.
- Add the flour and mix well, then fold in the walnuts as best you can.
- Knead the dough lightly, enough to evenly distribute the walnuts, then split in half and roll into two logs about 2 inches thick. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 1/2 to 3 hours to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut each cookie dough log into slices about 3/8″ thick. Arrange on parchment. These shortbread cookies will not expand much at all, but leave a little space between them.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, then remove to rack to cool.