I have been making Lemon Walnut Biscotti, as one of my holiday cookies for several years now. It is a bright note in a cookie platter, and goes wonderfully with tea. This is the latest version of my recipe, which has evolved over the years.
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/3 c. confectionery sugar
- 1 lg. egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. (with whisk)
- Add egg, baking powder, salt and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Switch to beater attachment- Add the zest, mix, then add flour slowly while mixing.
- When well mixed, add the walnuts and mix until evenly distributed.
- Split the dough in half, and roll each into a log. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Press and mold with your hands, until approx. 3" wide and 1" thick.
- Bake logs for 30 min. Remove and reduce oven temp. to 325°.
- Allow the logs to cool, then slice into 1/2" thick cookies.
- Place the cookies back on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Store the Lemon-Walnut Biscotti in an airtight container.