Making the Andouille Sausage Pasta Recipe Healthy
This healthy Andouille Sausage Pasta Recipe is made with cajun chicken andouille sausage and gets a nutrition boost from the addition of white beans and freshly sliced delicata squash. Since chicken andouille sausage tends to be low in fat, the sausage, onions, garlic and delicata squash are sauteed in heart healthy olive oil. They all team nicely with the pasta and make the recipe well balanced. The recipe would also be tasty using Polish kielbasa sausage, which is available in a turkey version.
Andouille Sausage Pasta Recipe: Quick & Easy
Preparing this recipe is quite easy. Simply slice the chicken Andouille sausage along with the onions and squash, then saute with the garlic and thyme. Delicata squash doesn’t need to be peeled. Just a quick swipe to deseed the squash and start slicing. Toss the saute with pasta and dinner is ready.
- 1/2 lb pasta preferably cork screws or shells
- 2 tsp olive oil regular not extra virgin
- 6 oz chicken Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 small delicata squash deseeded, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 Vidalia onion medium, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- leaves from 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- 15 oz white beans can, drained and rinsed
- sea salt to taste
- grated Parmesan to serve
- Boil the pasta to al dente.
- While pasta is cooking place large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot add the chicken andouille sausage, delicata squash, onions, garlic, and thyme. Saute until sausage and squash begin to brown, then reduce to medium low and cover. Stir in a few minutes checking for the squash to be tender.
- Once the squash is tender, add the drained white beans and stir. Add sea salt to taste.
- Finally, mix in the drained pasta, and serve with grated Parmesan on top.