Cheddar Onion Hash Brown Cups are fantastic for an on the go breakfast, or easy to handle brunch dish. They make great appetizers or snacks too. Cheddar and onion are a great easy base recipe, and you can always toss in a little chopped ham, crumbled bacon or other delightful tidbits in to satisfy your particular taste (and of course use up what you have on-hand).
Making hash brown cups is easy… the only hard part is the wait to crisp them up.
Need a New Muffin Tin?
These cheddar onion hash brown cups, actually feature green onion, which ads great flavor and texture. You could of course use small diced onion if you wish, but scallion or chive might make for a better recipe substitute if your market doesn’t carry green onion.
- 4 Cups Shredded Hash Browns thawed
- 4 Tbsp. Butter melted
- 1 teas. Salt
- 1 teas. Pepper
- 8 Eggs
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Cup Green Onion Chopped
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- In a large bowl combine the Hash browns, Butter, Salt and Pepper.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill the cups about ¾ of the way full with the Hash browns.
- Press with your fingers to mold the Hash browns to the cups all the way to the top. Don’t worry if they stick out a little. Try to make the sides the same thickness all the way around for even cooking. Make sure there are Hash browns on the bottom of the cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until they are starting to brown. Let cool slightly.
- Reduce oven to 350˚.
- Take half of the Shredded Cheese and sprinkle in the bottom of the cups. Repeat with half of the Green Onion.
- Whisk the eggs together and fill the cups until almost full.
- Top with the second half of Cheese and Onion.
- Bake until eggs are set, 20-25 minutes.