Yes, you read that right. I said pickle pizza… and not only is it slammin’, but I have the easy recipe for you!
If you are looking for a funky, but easy appetizer that your friends have surely not had before and will definitely remember… well here you go. Who wouldn’t remember being served pickle pizza…lol.
Making Pickle Pizza
The thing is the pickles are finely chopped, and mixed with pickled garlic and chili paste, so it isn’t like your guests will be getting a big hunk of pickle. The flavor is spread out and sporting garlicy heat (Yes, I will be slathering this “relish” on plenty of other things, really soon). The pizzas are made on standard size pita pockets, so when cut up each slice is about the size of a nacho, perfect for appetizers.
Sharp cheddar is used to top these peppery pickle pizzas, since few other cheeses could stand up to the tangy heat of the spread. If you think guests will be leery of trying a pickle pizza, just call them Firecracker Pita Pizza… it is sort of a small explosion of flavor in you mouth (and that was on my short list of names).
Pickle Lover Recipes
If you are game to try pickle pizza, you have got to be a true pickle lover.
- 3 Farmer's Garden Dill Pickle Spears
- 3-4 of the pickled garlic cloves from bottom of the Farmer's Garden pickle jar
- 1 tbs Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 4 pita pockets
- approx. 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese shredded or shaved
- **optional** chopped parsley basil or scallions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop the pickles, then place in small food processor with the pickled garlic & sambal oelek. Pulse until it is a fine chopped relish.
- Toast the pitas in oven until lightly browned and starting to crisp. Remove.
- Smear the peppery pickle relish evenly over the pitas, then sprinkle on sharp cheddar.
- Pop them back in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. (Opt to pop under broiler for this step if you prefer).
- Cut each pita into 6 wedges, and sprinkle with chopped herbs if you like. Serve promptly.