This Pancetta Egg Cups recipe is a quick and easy breakfast, that seems decadent, but in actuality is quite diet friendly.
If you aren't familiar with Pancetta, it is an Italian form of bacon, which can be bought as slabs, or right from the deli, where is is usually found thin sliced. This cured meat packs all the awesome flavor of bacon, but with less fat. The egg cup recipe uses the thin slices from the deli, egg whites & a small portion of sharp cheddar (rather than a light/reduced fat cheese), since it packs a lot of flavor.
When you try these Pancetta Egg Cups, you will feel spoiled, yet won't blow your diet.
Pancetta Egg Cups Recipe
- ingredients listed are per serving
- 3 thin deli slices Pancetta 1 oz.
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- ½ ounce sharp cheddar
- 1-2 fresh basil leaves chiffonade = thinly sliced
- 1-2 slices of toast
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Line each muffin cup with a slice of Pancetta.
- Scoop some egg white into each cup, leave room for cheese.
- Top with crumbed sliced sharp cheddar.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, until eggs are fully set.
- Gently pop each egg cup out (a spoon or chopstick is helpful for this), and place on top of toast.
- Top with basil & serve.