Do you love Panera Tomato Soup? Well, today I have a copycat recipe for you, so you can still enjoy this delicious vegetarian creamy tomato soup at home, when you can't make it to an actual Panera Bread location.
Great for those days you would much rather just hang out in your PJs. Creamy Tomato Bisque soup can be so comforting.
Copycat Panera Tomato Soup - Tomato Bisque Soup
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 medium carrots chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- basil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian version)
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes can, diced, drained (or you can use 8 fresh tomatoes,diced)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tbs sugar
- ½ cup half & half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- hot sauce to taste (optional)
- croutons optional
- sour cream optional
- parsley optional
- Put olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add onion, carrot, celery & garlic. Stir to coat with oil, then add salt, pepper, and pepper flakes(a pinch of each). Stir frequently until the veggies are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the wheat flour over the veggies and stir to evenly coat.
- Pour in chicken stock and reseason with a pinch of salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Add tomatoes, paste, leaves and sugar. Stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from burner and retrieve the bay leaves.
- Pour the mixture to a blender till ¾ of the way full, and puree. Temporarily, pour puree into a bowl, while repeating the pureeing with remaining soup.
- Return all the soup to the pan and stir in the half & half. Turn burner on to medium, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Give the tomato bisque a final seasoning, with salt & pepper and adding in the basil (to taste), Finally, stir in butter (and hot sauce, if you like) to taste.
- To Serve: Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, croutons, and fresh chopped parsley.