Earthquake Cake is a delicious cake recipe that everyone will love. While not quite a dump cake, it is almost as easy to make. If you love chocolate and easy baking recipes, this is for you.
It also features cream cheese, pecan and coconut! I have included a full visual guide to making the Earthquake cake recipe for you. So have no fear, you’ve got this!
Earthquake cake is a rich and gooey chocolate cake loaded up with coconut, pecans, chocolate chips and a scrumptious cream cheese mixture. Despite all that going the cake is super easy to make, thanks in part to the help of German chocolate cake mix.
The German Chocolate Earthquake cake has several layers that create the fun effect of the cake, which require a few extra steps. No worries, I have pictures to ensure you don’t miss anything and get great results the first time!
Why is it called an earthquake cake?
This is one of those classic recipes that’s passed down from grandmothers to mothers to children. But after making and tasting this scrumptious chocolate cake, I think I know why they call it an earthquake cake.
When you look at it, it looks like an earthquake disrupted the cake! All the layers are mixed in together. It’s kind of a mess compared to other layered cakes.
But the beauty is in the mess.
How to Make Earthquake Cake
There is the visual walkthrough of the process of making the Earthquake Cake. No worries, this is an easy cake recipe. Full printable recipe below.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make the cake.
- German chocolate cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Unsweetened coconut
- Chocolate Chips
- Chopped pecans
- Cream cheese
- Powdered Sugar
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and coat the interior of a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
The first layer to add is coconut. Spread it across the bottom of the baking dish.
Sprinkle chocolate chips over the coconut layer. Then distribute the chopped pecans the same way.
Pour cake mix in a large bowl combine with the oil, eggs, and water.
Mix to prepare the cake batter.
Add the batter to the cake pan in evenly distributed dollops.
Then spread the batter out.
Next, melt the butter and cream cheese together in a small saucepan.
Beat the powdered sugar into the melted butter and cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Yes, you can use a stand mixer or beat it with a whisk if you have the endurance.
Scoop on the cream cheese mixture, just as you did with the cake batter… in well-dispersed dollops.
Then swirl the batter around with a chopstick or a butter knife.
Bake for about 40 minutes. Cool before serving or scoop some out warm and serve like a dump cake.
Earthquake Cake is a delicious cake recipe that everyone will love. While not quite a dump cake, it is almost as easy to make.
- 1 box of German chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat the inside of a 9x13 pan with a non-stick spray.
- Start by layering the coconut, chocolate chips and pecans on the bottom of your prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oil, eggs and water until combined.
- Pour the cake mix batter over the top of your layers in the pan and lightly spread around.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and cream cheese on the stove top.
Pour the butter and cream cheese mixture into a large bowl and add in the powdered sugar. Using a mixer, mix together the powdered sugar and butter until a creamy consistency has been reached.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top of the cake mix layer in your pan. Then, swirl a knife around the cake pan to create a swirling pattern between the cream cheese and cake mix. Don’t mix too much, just enough to combine the two with a pretty pattern.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely before cutting if you want clean slices. If you don’t mind a dump style cake and want to eat it warm, there’s no harm in that!
More Amazing Dump Cake Recipes
Try these cake recipes next. All of them are super easy.