This Matcha Green Tea cookies recipe is a great way to make decorative green swirl cookies for the holidays without any artificial dyes. The recipe simply uses matcha green tea powder to make the cookies feature a vibrant green spiral. These green tea cookies are of course great anytime, but would be particularly festive for the Christmas and St. Patrick's day holidays due to the lovely natural green color of the swirls.
I made these green tea cookies for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap this year. It was a fun project. Each participant was given three bloggers to send a dozen cookies to, and three different bloggers also sent them cookies. It was top secret Santa stuff.
Since all the participants are food bloggers, I wanted to do something a little different. I decided create this Spiral Matcha Green Tea Cookies recipe using matcha (high grade powdered green tea) to both flavor and provided natural color for the cookies. Granted the green was not quite a standard Christmas green, more like vibrant avocado, but they are green without using fake dye and have an appealing green tea flavor. I vacuum packed the cookies cookies for shipment,stuffed in some red packing shreds and included a glittery holiday card, then they were on their way.
Matcha Green Tea Cookies Recipe
Well, without further ado, here is my little contribution to the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap body of knowledge, my Spiral Matcha Green Tea Cookies recipe.
Get Your Matcha On
Matcha Green Tea Powder Organic - Japanese Culinary Grade (Smoothies, Lattes, Baking, Recipes) - Antioxidants, Energy Boost - Jade Leaf Brand [30g Starter Size]Davidson's Tea Bulk, Gunpowder Green, 1 PoundStarter Matcha (16oz) - USDA Organic, Kosher & Non-GMO Certified, Vegan and Gluten-Free. Pure Matcha Green Tea Powder. Incredible Flavor, Delicate Aroma, Natural Energy Booster and Fat Burner
Spiral Green Tea Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 ½ tbs matcha powder
- Cream together the butter and sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix well.
- Take out about half the dough, ball it up. wrap in plastic wrap and put aside.
- Add the matcha powder to dough remaining in bowl, and mix until color is thoroughly blended.
- Ball this dough up, and wrap, as well. Refrigerate the dough for about 15-20 minutes, just enough to stiffen it a little.
- Divide each ball in half then roll out into long rectangle. Tuck edges in as they crack, helping the dough to obtaining a relatively uniform shape.
- Lay one white over one green and vice versa.
- Trim off edges. And gently roll like a cigar (plastic wrap can be helpful in doing this). You will end out with two long dough logs.
- Place the dough logs in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Take out the dough, and slice off ¼ inch cookies. Place the cookies on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Pay close attention after about 10 minutes, we don't want these cookies to brown at all on tops.
- Place cookies on racks.to cool.