Upcyling a Chair – How to
You can easily upcycle an old chair into the perfect outdoor accessory in just a few simple steps. Take a look below at how we turned an old metal chair into something fun, fresh, and functional. Anyone can do it. It is much easier than you may think. Take a peek at how to get started!
Here is what you will need:
An old chair
Krylon Clear protecting spray
Spray paint of your choice (Use a product intended for the outdoors, such as Krylon ColorMaster Indoor/Outdoor)
Staple gun, staples
Outdoor suitable fabric such as vinyl
We found everything we needed at our local craft store. Choose a vinyl material (very similar to an outdoor tablecloth) than is water resistant and can be wiped clean as needed. You can find this fabric for less than $10 a yard OR simply find an outdoor tablecloth you like and use it instead.
1. Begin by wiping the chair down to remove any dirt or grime that may be on it. Doing so will help any paint you apply to stick well.
2. Use your screwdriver to loosen any screws holding the seat cushion in place. Set the cushion aside so your frame stands alone.
3. If you choose to paint your piece, apply two coats of the suggested paint. Allow the paint to dry in between coats.
4. Should you choose to skip this step as we did (we preferred the antique white) then skip to the protecting spray step. When you are done painting use the clear protecting spray liberally on the piece. This will help keep UV rays, wind, and rain out and keep your color bright. Apply two coats, allowing the coats to dry well in between.
5. While your product dries, you can recover the seat. Place the seat face down onto the underside of the fabric. Pull the fabric tightly to the back of the seat cover and secure in place with staples. Be sure your staples go all the way around the seat. Be sure to pull tightly as you go so the fabric is not wrinkled.
6. Return the seat cushion to the chair and secure in place with the screws.
Your chair is now officially upcycled and is ready to be displayed! See how easy it can be to turn an old chair into something fun and functional? Give this easy DIY a try!