This non-dairy Pumpkin-Ginger Gelato recipe is the result of my daughter requesting ice cream while on a gluten & dairy free diet. The diet was discontinued a couple weeks ago, but we have kept some of the changes, including primarily using almond milk rather than dairy. I don’t use my ice cream machine as often as I should, partially because due to the fact that it is stored in a cabinet in my basement… out of sight is out of mind. This was the perfect excuse to bring it up.
While still a dessert, this does at least provide some nutrition from the real pumpkin and rich egg yolks. The addition of ginger gives this pumpkin gelato a little kick, added since I am a fan of ginger ice cream, from my days working at a sushi bar. With all these great flavors the dairy cream is hardly missed.
Pumpkin-Ginger Gelato (non-dairy)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk use regular milk if you prefer
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup pumpkin puree canned
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Put milk, sugar, ginger, vanilla, salt & cinnamon in sauce pan over medium heat until it reaches a slight boil and sugar is melted. (Stir frequently.)
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Add a little of the hot milk mixture, and mix to temper the eggs, then add them to pan. Keep whisking.
- Add pumpkin & maple syrup. Stir until evenly distributed, then take off burner to cool. Place in bowl and refrigerate, if time is an issue.
- Once the mix is cooled to room temperature, place in ice cream machine. Freeze and churn according to manufacturer directions.