Pineapple pie is a family favorite around here. It has always been my mother's favorite, and growing up we all loved it. When I met my husband I was surprised to find it was one of his favorites, as well (along with blueberry and cherry). Although my mother baked frequently, for this particular type of pie, we usually had Table Talk, store bought pies. None of the better bakeries made this pie. Although eating a Table Talk pie, brings back childhood memories, it leaves something to be desired. A few years back I decided to make my own recipe. I've never had a mass produced pineapple pie again. I usually make individual double crust mini-pies, which I bake in tart pans (shallow muffin tins could also work).
This and Ricotta Pie are holiday staples in my house.
Pineapple Pie Filling
- 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple w/ juice
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbs. cornstarch
- Mix all ingredients in saucepan
- Over med/high heat, keep stirring while you bring filling to a boil.
- After about a minute of boiling the filling should be thick enough.
- Take it off burner and set aside.
- Filling as made above
- Pie Crust see my Ultimate Pie Crust Recipe
- Roll out pie crusts.
- Bottom half of rolled out crust should be gently placed in pie plate. It is better to nestle the dough then shape it, than to pull the dough down to the shape of the plate. (if making individual pies cut the bottom crust about figuring about an extra inch on all sides, larger than the size of each tin)
- Fill close to the top, but leave a little space so filling won't bubble over.
- Dampen edge of crust with a damp cloth (so top crust will stick better.
- Place top crust on and press edges down .
- Trim off excess dough , and crimp edges.
- Cut a small slit in the top crust, to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 degrees for approx. 30 minutes (mini pies will only take about half that time.
- Serve once cooled.
Interesting. I'm not sure if I'd like it, but sounds interesting.
this looks so so fabulous!
That sounds sooooo good!
Nina Say says
I love fresh pineapple by itself but I dont know how I would do with the pie.
Um..YUM! That looks amazing! 🙂
I have never ever even heard of Pineapple Pie but it looks and sounds good. Will have to try it.
I love recipes that have pineapple in it so I'll have to give this one a try! 🙂
Yum, love pineapples in fillings or even eaten raw.
Great blog. Following you from MBC, hope you'll follow back.
Sounds incredible! I love pineapple. Thanks for sharing!
Following you now from MBC!
Shop with Me Mama (Kim) says
YUM that looks delish!
.-= Shop with Me Mama (Kim)´s last blog ..Mother's Day Giveaway: Smart Tan =-.
Frantic Holly says
That sounds really interesting!
.-= Frantic Holly´s last blog ..Temptation is Beautiful! =-.
I have never heard of a pineapple pie before! I love cherry or berry pies though.