This light vegetarian Poblano-Lime Quinoa recipe makes a quick and versatile entree or side dish. The recipe can be served either hot or cold and is both gluten-free and vegan too. In the pictures, it is being served cold as a salad.
Last night I had this quinoa warm with some spicy grilled shrimp on top for dinner. The combination was outstanding. Personally, I find it much easier to stay on track with healthy eating, when I keep things balanced and flavorful. The tangy lime, fresh cilantro and smokey paprika & chili powder accents in this dish, varied greatly with the lasagna I had for lunch.
- 1 tbs olive oil or butter
- ½ large sweet onion
- 1 large Poblano pepper
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup golden quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh tomato
- Chop the sweet onion and slice the Poblano pepper into strips.
- Put non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, pepper, garlic and quinoa. Saute, until the onion and quinoa are starting to show a little browning.
- Pour in stock. Add lime juice, paprika and chili powder. Stir. Reduce heat to med-low and cover.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Take off burner and add cilantro and tomato to the hot quinoa.
- Stir, until evenly distributed,
- Serve warm or as a cold salad.