I’ve been using this crispy grilled chicken drumsticks recipe for some time now. This is a basic recipe for a coating to grill your chicken in. It it very thin, but locks the juices in and helps the skin crisp up nicely. It also serves as a nice base to stick sauce to. Baste the drumsticks in your sauce of choice at the end of cooking, it will stick well. During poor weather, I use the same coating in the oven, just make sure to turn the chicken several times during cooking, so you won’t have dry spots.
- 3 - 4 lbs. chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt free seasoning ie. Mrs. Dash table blend
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large deep lightweight bowl. (If you don't have a bowl like this use what you have, and then pour it in a large plastic storage bag)
- Drop the drumsticks in one or two at a time. Toss until well coated. Press coating on in spots that don't look like they got sufficient coating. (If using a bag shake, then press)
- Place chicken on preheated grill, turn down to low-med, and grill until you just start to see the meat pulling away from the bone in spots.
- Serve the grilled chicken drumsticks as is, or with your favorite sauce.