Tis the season, for pumpkin recipes, and this Pumpkin Carrot Cake is perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall get-together. It is perhaps the moistest cake I’ve ever had, and is packed with lots of oatmeal and pumpkin, so this dessert is even nutritious! It is frosted with an easy cream cheese frosting, which , while delicious I used just enough to stick the layers and nicely top the cake. This tasted just right in my opinion and didn’t add more calories and fat than necessary.
You will notice I used cranberries in addition to pumpkin, to make this carrot cake recipe more fitting to a fall theme.Print
Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This pumpkin carrot cake is the moistest most flavorful version I’ve ever had and I’m proud to call it my own. It features dried cranberries rather than raisins, a generous amount of oatmeal and an easy cream cheese frosting.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12-15
- Category: Dessert
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cooked pureed pumpkin (canned is good)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or raisins if you prefer)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package of softened cream cheese
1 stick of softened salted butter (if you use unsalted just add a generous pinch of salt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & coat 8-9 ” cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pulse the oats in a food processor until flour-like in consistency.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt cinnamon & sugar, and pulse to mix.
- In a large mixing bowl (stand mixer preferable) whisk eggs, then add pumpkin, apple sauce, vanilla, oil, brown sugar and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to mixing bowl, and mix well.
- Fold in the carrot, cranberries & walnuts, until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into cake pans.
- Bake for 33-37 minutes.
- Cool on racks.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally to create 4 layers. Frost.
- Prepare the frosting by beating the butter cream cheese & vanilla until smooth, then adding confectioners sugar and whisking until smooth.
- Spread frosting evenly on each layer of the cake and stack.