This Oatmeal-Molasses Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Glaze and Candied Pumpkin Seeds is moist sweet and wholesome. It makes a nice festive fall presentation, without fussy decoration. Perfect for most occasions.
I wanted a Pumpkin Cake that packed a nutritional punch, while still being sweet & yummy. Rather than going 100% natural, whole grain, etc., I balanced wholesome natural ingredients with some traditional baking ingredients. Of course, pumpkin itself is a great start. Molasses was used as a portion of the sweetener, just enough to add flavor without being overpowering, as molasses can be at times. A significant amount of oatmeal is also used. After doing a ton of gluten-free baking over the past few months I have grown to adore freshly ground oatmeal flour in my baked goods. It has nice flavor & texture, and holds moisture well. If you haven’t tried it yet, I encourage you to do so. No special tools or ingredients are needed, just pulse old fashioned oatmeal in a food processor until flour-like in texture.
If you are looking for a healthier dessert option Oatmeal-Molasses Pumpkin Cake may be just what you are looking for. The recipe would work well for muffins/cupcakes as well.
Oatmeal-Molasses Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Glaze and Candied Pumpkin Seed Topping (the cake portion)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom if you don't have this ingredient, just skip it
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 oz pumpkin puree canned
- 1/2 cup of molasses unsulfered
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and coat bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put oatmeal in food processor, and pulse until ground to flour texture.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Pulse to mix.
- Beat eggs and vanilla in mixing bowl.
- Add pumpkin, molasses, brown sugar and oil. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture, and mix well.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool on baking rack.
- Once cool, pour glaze over cake and top with seeds.
Nutrition is just for cake itself, add glaze and topping for total.
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds raw shelled
- 1 pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/2 tbs. Light brown sugar
- Toast the seeds over med-high heat.
- Once seeds are nicely toasted, add the salt & brown sugar.
- Stir until sugar is melted, then dump the seeds onto a plate to cool.
*Once seeds are cooling on plate, I make the caramel glaze in same pan.
- 1/2 tbs. butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk I used almond milk
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Put butter in small sauce pan over med-high heat, once melted add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir while boiling, until a little thicker than maple syrup.
- Remove from burner, and allow to cool until about the thickness of honey.
- Pour on the top of cake and allow to drip down the sides.