Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins are a healthy and delicious way to start your day!
This Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Muffin Recipe was developed in honor of National Oatmeal Day. Oatmeal has become a staple in my baking, a trick I discovered while trialing a gluten-free diet with my daughter (to see if it helped with her autism symptoms). It can be challenging to create moist Gluten-free baked goods with nice texture, and many recipes called for obscure and sometimes expensive ingredients. I found a solution, by simply grinding Old Fashioned Oats into flour using a common food processor. The oat flour has a pleasant texture and maintains moisture well.
I liked the results I got from substituting a large portion of the flour in baked goods for this homemade oat flour, that, despite no longer having my daughter on a gluten-free diet, I still use this impromptu oat flour in many of my recipe creations. Old Fashioned Oats are a whole grain and high in soluble fiber, so it makes good nutritional sense too. I have a number of recipes here on the blog, that include this healthy homemade oat flour, but if you are a chocolate lover, this Triple Chocolate Bomb Oatmeal Muffin Recipe, will be the one for you. It is made entirely with whole grains and lots of healthy dark chocolate. These muffins are a delicious way to get a smart kick-start to your morning. I had several
guinea pigs friends try these, and everyone loved them. Sort of hard to go wrong with yummy Quaker Oats & chocolate though 🙂
More great baking!
- Molasses Cookies
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- 2 cups Old fashioned Oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup evaporated fat free milk
- 1/2 cup strong coffee or espresso not hot
- 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse the Old Fashioned Oats in food processor, until ground to a flour-like consistency (this doesn't take too long).
- Add Whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa cinnamon and cane sugar. Pulse a few times to mix.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg, then add the vanilla, oil, evaporated milk & coffee. Whisk to blend.
- Combine the two mixtures, in bowl. Mix well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop into lined muffin tins. Fill nearly to top.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes.