This delicious Cottage Cheese Spread with fresh herbs and Romano cheese is such an easy recipe to make, and such a smarter option over most ready-made spreads in the market. Perfect as a spread on toasts. crackers, pita chips, and sandwiches or as a whipped cottage cheese dip for cut veggies.
Fresh herbs and a bit of good Romano cheese and fresh ground pepper add all the flavor you will need, and using whipped cottage cheese makes for a smooth high protein spread.
Making Romano Herb Cottage Cheese Spread
Here is a visual walk-through of making this simple cottage cheese spread. Full recipe below.
Here are the ingredients you will need.
- whipped cottage cheese (store bought or blend full-fat cottage cheese until smooth in standard blender or food processor)
- fresh basil
- fresh chives
- thyme (preferably lemon thyme if you can get it)
- Romano cheese
- ground black pepper
Add chopped herbs to one cup of whipped cottage cheese. Mix.
Add fresh grated Romano cheese and freshly ground pepper, then mix well.
Scoop the spread into a covered container.
Refrigerate for at least an hour for flavors to meld.
Spread onto your favorite crackers, pita bread, sandwiches, or (as shown here) homemade crostini. Firm fresh veggies like celery and carrots are also great choices.
Variations on the Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip Recipe
If you would prefer a different texture or additional flavors to the spread, give one of these simple suggestions a try.
- For garlic lovers add a ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or few cloves of mashed roasted garlic. A ¼ teaspoon onion powder is also an option.
- Spice it up with a pinch of ground cayenne pepper or a slash of hot sauce.
- For a looser cottage cheese dip, appropriate for chips and less sturdy veggies like cucumber slices add Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- If you would like to keep the spread thick, but a bit richer and smooth add some cream cheese to the mixture.
- Try drizzling some extra virgin olive oil over the top when serving.
Keep the herb cottage cheese dip/spread in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Herb Cottage Cheese Spread
- 1 cup whipped cottage cheese or a full-fat cottage cheese pulsed in blender or food processor
- 2 tablespoon chives freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoon basil freshly chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon thyme de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoon Romano cheese fresh grated
- fresh black ground pepper to taste
- Mix the herbs into the cottage cheese.
- Add the Romano cheese and pepper, mix well.
- Scoop into a container and cover.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour to meld the flavors before serving.